The Unofficial Mayweather v. Pacquiao Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Apr 23, 2015.

?

Predict the result

1. Pacquiao by knockout

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Mayweather by knockout

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pacquiao in a decision

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Mayweather in a decision

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I saw this morning that Bob Arum confirmed that the contracts have now been signed.

Not that it wasn't officially on before, but it's officially on now, so let's talk it up.

Who ya got? When? Why? How?

Where does this fight fit in the big picture of huge fights?

How does it affect the legacies of both fighters?

Would KidB have even a little bit of trouble with either one of them?

And other questions we come up with along the way.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Clearly, I want Pacquiao to win. However, my boxing sense gives the chance at a Manny victory at about 30%. In all likelihood, I think that the fight will not live up to the billing as Mayweather will be able to frustrate a slow the pace of the fight, getting a decision in the end. Pacquiao, however, will have some moments and will get some good shots on Mayweather, probably more so than any fight Floyd has had in a long time.

As far as its importance, I think it's fairly critical for boxing. There will be a lot of casual fans tuning in and they want to see something that matches the hype. Boxing is still much more popular than MMA, but the sport does need a good kick in the ass. This could/should be that opportunity. They have screwed up by not putting together a better undercard, but there's still an opportunity to salvage the moment with a classic fight.

Legacy wise, Mayweather needs this. Badly. He promotes himself as the greatest of this generation, "TBE", all of this and people have been after him for years to fight Pac. He wins and he's a fighter considered in the upper echelon of history. He loses and it opens the Pandora's Box of all the criticisms of him over the years, the avoidance of fights, trying to manipulate the fights to his advantage and so on. Pacquiao wins and he becomes legendary. Pacquiao, though, has already lost and still has a pretty settled place in history. He's not dropping down much further with a loss. Mayweather has really intertwined his legacy with his zero and that's why he needs this win more than Manny.

Both would whip your ass something ugly.

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Boxing is more popular than MMA? News to me.

4. kidbourbon

How much do MMA fighters get per fight?

5. kidbourbon

I'm a rich man's Pac.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't know a bunch of people into either but it seems like I know more people into MMA.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I haven't watched much boxing since the late 80's. So I have no idea who will win this fight and just know the names from the news.

I would like to see Pacquiao win, though, as he seems the more grounded person of the two.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The numbers for this fight will blow away anything MMA has ever done.

9. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Just saw Hooters has a $20 cover. $30/person if you want a table. Never seen anything like that in Knoxville.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I was talking to the owner of a local pizza/beer place about whether they would have it and he told me that they wanted $5,000 for the business version for this fight. I don't know if that's bs. seemed ridiculously high.

12. hallowed_hill

That's the number I've heard as well. The hooters here never charges covers for fights, even when other bars are. So it's a big jump for them.

13. hallowed_hill

It's also a miserable place to watch one. Completely packed with lowest common denominator types abounding. Plan to get together with friends for this one.

14. kidbourbon

That's absurd

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

with the $20 cover combined with beer and food I'd get well above just buying the thing myself.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

That's what I was thinking.

17. hallowed_hill

Agree. I do enjoy the energy and atmosphere of watching big events out.

18. GahLee

Of course it will. It's been a decade long build up.

19. GahLee

**** that. Factor in the shitty service and overpriced mediocre food and that's a complete rip.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I can be fun until Billy Bob and Cletus get likkered up and decide to reenact the fight after it ends.