The Updated "It's not a sport"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Feb 18, 2014.

1. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

it's truly awesome to watch those guys hurdle downhill at those speeds while cutting on a dime.

and the occasional yard sale crash is entertaining, too.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Hermann Maier remains the best I've ever seen.

[video=youtube;_5I9HxBOT14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5I9HxBOT14[/video]

3. kidbourbon

I think it's just "the scene". It's a new sport, it's marketed well, and it's gained enough of a buzz to be cool and hip while still remaining somewhat exclusive. This will change. The fact that it sucks to watch -- and I do believe that to be a fact -- will catch up with it eventually. The novelty will wear off and the sport's popularity will follow suit.

4. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

i remember watching that crash at nagano.

enjoy some franz klammer,

[video=youtube_share;tVMJKIx34SE]http://youtu.be/tVMJKIx34SE[/video]

5. kidbourbon

Franz definitely ain't rocking parabolic skis. The difference in turning radius is more than a little significant. I could tell immediately.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, that was amazing on sticks.

7. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

no parabolic skis, but a big damn set of brass balls.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I liken my skiing ability to a tennis player that is caught between playing the net or the baseline. I'm not overly conservative, nor aggressive and get caught in kind of a difficult in-between.

9. kidbourbon

Think about John Mcenroe. Ski accordingly.

10. kidbourbon

You're right, though, in that you really don't wanna be indecisive in skiing. You have to trust your skis. Comes with practice, and a few falls. If you ain't falling, you ain't getting any better.