The Vacation/Travel Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by **TDCVOL**, Apr 3, 2016.

1. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Where do you like to go ? Where have been your favorite places ?

We go to Destin 2-3 times every year. Love it. Been to a bunch of places but my buddy flies us here and we can make it in an hour and a half and it has become our favorite place.

Thoughts ?
    [​IMG]

2. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Our ex-neighbors live in Destin. Used to own the best Restaurant in the Tri-Cities, if not East Tennessee. Named the Troutdale Dining Room.

One of my favorite places for vacationing is St. Martin or San Marteen, depending on whether you are on the French or Dutch side. I prefer the French. Landing at the airport is an adventure in itself, rated one of top ten most difficult to land at. Been there twice, favorite spot is Orient Beach, full nudity.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Also, post about where you're going too.

Going to NJ/Philly on Friday for a wedding
    Staying in the infield for the Indy 500
    Las Vegas in July
    Hilton Head (my personal fav) in September
    London and Paris in November

4. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Been to Hilton Head. Liked it but didn't love it. But I don't play golf. Seemed like it would be good for someone that did.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

For a beach vacation not much beats Maui

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Gotta be Italy

Can't go this year. Going to Boston for a couple of days and then up to Acadia for a few days in September

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I like to go to different places and we try to expose the kids to as many different things as possible. But our go-to place is Top Sail Preserve state park near San Destin in Florida. We were going to go this year, but the dates we could go conflicted with my oldest's boy scout camp he wants to go to this year.

He and I are going to Charleston this weekend with the scouts and sleeping on the Yorktown. Looking forward to it.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Runaway Bay in Jamaica. Not going this year but will be there next year. It's paradise and the all inclusive resort we stay at has amazing food. I can eat my weight in conch chowder.

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Only things I have planned right now is Indianapolis for the 500, College Station for the A&M game, and Hilton Head for a week in the summer and a week in the fall. May also head to Nashville for the Vanderbilt game.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

West Palm / Key West

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Difficult to do from the East coast. End up spending a good part of your vacation in airports and planes. It's awesome, but good Caribbean beaches can be a lot more practical.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We just recently went to Europe. Have a thing in Boston I'll turn into a mini vacation here in a few weeks. Probably find a beach in South Carolina this summer.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yup. Direct flight from here. Same goes for the carribean from here.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

My favorite vacation spots have been the Domincan Republic and Sacred Valley in Peru. Generally, I like to get the feel of the country by visiting local establishments and avoid the all-inclusive stuff like the plague. I'm also usually on a shoe string budget, but I really enjoy finding the little Chinese restaurant in the small booth in the local market.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That's a long ass flight

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah I did it once for a wedding in st thomas. Two layovers. Think it came to like 14 hours of travel.

17. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Went to Bali last summer, it was great. Italy and Bavaria are my favorites. Can't go wrong with Boothbay Harbor, Maine either.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Just got back from Spain over Spring Break. I was giving a paper at a conference, and we turned it into a sightseeing trip. First time I've ever been to Europe, but I kind of get why the celebs move there now as soon as they hit it big. I didn't expect to like it so much. Only had time to see the southern part of Spain (Andalucia) but the amount of culture and history were shocking. We went to the castle where they commissioned Colombus, the Rock of Gibraltar, and a couple of their thousand year old cities like Ronda:

http://www.spain-holiday.com/Ronda/articles/the-12-things-you-must-see-when-visiting-ronda

Trip was way too short since it was over Spring Break. I'd love to go back. I'd also love to see Italy now, which I'm sure is even more impressive. Have to start saving money and try to get more time there next time.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Our first vacation, (and belaed honeymoon was to Boothbay Harbor. Our actual destination was Bar Harbor, but we liked it so well there, we never got to Bar Harbor. Ate my first lobster roll on the pier, delicious for $2.50.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Went to Dominican Republic one time, and I have to admit it is my least favorite Caribbean destination. We were warned repeatedly not to leave the resort, all inclusive and I do agree with you on that. The resort and most everywhere that looked decent enough to go into had armed guards at the entrances.