The workout thread(Weighlifting/Running)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Aug 17, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'll throw in here as an accountability measure. For those I haven't already told.

I had to go disability retirement route due to my MS. I hung on 17 years. Couldn't do it anymore. Spent the last year & a half in near complete isolation. Due to my MS treatment, my median lymphocyte count is only 8% of the median normal lymphocyte count. That's why I've isolated. I can't afford getting infected.

I gained 25lbs due to my isolation & inability to exercise, including walking. I hit 318lbs, heaviest ever by far.... I have regular bloodwork due to my meds. Liver & sugar numbers started coming in bad. I decided on July 19th that I was going to do something. I'm not ready to die just yet.

Changing my diet was straightforward enough. My conundrum was how do I exercise? I've found that many of my worst MS issues are lessened in a pool. Water helps with not having to bear my full weight & also helps with my balance & coordination deficits. Bonus, when I do fall in the pool, it doesn't hurt.

I have a ghetto Walmart 16'X48" pool for my kids. I started off just walking in the pool. Through research I found that walking 1 minute in waist deep water is equal to 5-7 minutes walking on dry land. I eventually started doing a modified doggy paddle/swim hybrid due to the size of the pool. Got the idea to use my SCUBA mask & snorkel (yes, I'm PADI certified). It's more of an underwater swim stroke, but it's better than what I was doing. Couldn't do much at first, but I've worked up to where I swim a minimum of 1/2 mile every day- hurricane remnants & cold water hasn't prevented my daily swim a single day.

I only weigh 1 time/month at my monthly doctor's visit. Last weigh-in on August 31st I was down to 303lbs, a 15lb reduction. My minimum goal is 270. I'm not going for a skinny dude look as I'm not a little guy type, but I'd prefer 250. The ultimate goal would be 235-225. We'll see. My blood pressure is already down from 140s-150s/mid to low 90s (medicated) to upper 120s to low 130s/upper 70s to low 80s (still medicated). My resting heartbeat is in the low 60s to upper 50s at times.

I'll update after every month's weigh in. I expect ups & downs, but I've totally eliminated soft drink with sugar. I drink lots of Gatorade Zero. I've eliminated my favorite food, pizza. That's been a tough one. I used to eat it 5 time/week minimum. I'm about to turn into a salad & pepperoncini I've eaten so much of that. But I'm committed. I still have the exact same MS issues, no improvement there & I don't expect there will be any improvement there. No amount of exercise & dieting will ever regrow the holes in my nerve's myelin sheaths. It's not measurable, but I do "feel" much much better than I did already.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Nice. Got a good fupa going?

3. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

I have a stationary bike for my pool. I put it in the shallow end which is about waist deep. Very nice to use on hot days as you can continually splash cold water on yourself. Is that something you could do?

4. JayVols

Probably could. Interesting idea.

I've looked into an underwater treadmill contraption with it's own tank & a dual zone spa/endless pool with swim jets. Both aren't exactly cheap.

I can't do heat from an actual spa. Heat & MS is no bueno, but I need something for winter. Pool season won't last much longer. I've taken luke warm to cool showers since July 2004. Last time I was in a hot tub was May 2004.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Lightweight

JayVols likes this.
  6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I try to do a 3 day fast once a quarter or so, to try to reset my eating habits. Due to the pandemic last year It's been a year and a half since I've done it. This is day one and I'm struggling. I know once I hit the 24 hour mark it will be fine, but getting through the initial hunger pang is rough stuff.

JayVols likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

dang man eat a salad. 5'5 220 is thick

8. JayVols

Good luck, my man. Hang in there.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

German winters, COVID, depression and such all teamed up with beer and schnitzel to run my weight back up 50 lbs or thereabout. I'm sitting around 255 last I checked, but it's probably up from that. It's time to go back to work, but man does it suck.

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

You're a tallish guy, right?

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Not really. I'm 6' in the right shoes. 5'11 otherwise.

12. gcbvol

Ah, okay. I've put on 15 lbs and up to 179. Also 5'11 (6'3 in heels).

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

6'10 in heels and wig!

gcbvol likes this.
  14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Pics?

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I promised I wouldn't share them. But they are fabulous.

gcbvol likes this.
  16. gcbvol

In all seriousness I get how all those indivudual issues combine to take a physical toll. Not to take this too far off topic but I suffer from moderate depression and finally talked to my doctor and others about it a couple of years ago. I decided to try medication and it has changed my life. Maybe the move home will take care of that for you, but if not don't let it slide.

JayVols likes this.
  17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Such a tease

Poppa T, gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Have to meet my [penis] halfway to see it.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Day 57

Booya [itch bay]es.

warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Day 64

Awkward stage where my clothes are getting looser and looser but weight isn't dropping that fast. I mean, it's good because I'm exchanging fat for muscle, but I'd still really like to see 189 on the scale.