This is just stupid, imho.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Feb 10, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Why?

If they unionize, you might as well go ahead and watch GM Spring Hill #2 come in. They only make one car there as of now, we're trying to convince them to choose TN over Mexico to build a second, a biggie is that they need suppliers closer, and no supplier wants to deal with UAW.

There's no point at investing any more money with it if they do.

3. JayVols

Nevermind.

Sure. Forget VW encourged it. Force the bastards out. We didn't need their jobs anyway.

4. CardinalVol

Yup, because they are game with a work council at factory level, but under US law one cannot have one unless you are unionized.

And VW also wants their suppliers closer before they'll build more here, and no supplier wants to deal with UAW, thus they aren't going to move closer if they unionize.

As I said, unionize and become Spring Hill #2, because that's what's going to happen.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

500 million to a corporation is good governance, Jayvols. Workers unionizing for better pay is un-American. Just another obvious show as to where the interests of the Republican party lies. Not with people.

6. CardinalVol

You are right, because working to expand something to get more jobs in the state is bad. Because if they unionize the likelyhood of more jobs coming decreases dramatically.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. They artificially create the incentive for VW to come in with $500 million, then threaten to pull that support if the workers unionize. It isn't the union that is the problem in that instance, it is the state government. Take a look at income in the US. Notice that the "right to work" states are getting left far behind.

8. JayVols

I get it. You convinced me.

Stong-arm tacticts by union- bad.

Strong-arm tactics by legislature- good.

9. CardinalVol

Actually it's VW saying "we're not expanding there unless we can cut costs" and then the suppliers saying "we're not dealing with the UAW".

It's not going to matter as I will all but guarantee the state will continue to invest whether they unionize or not if VW is willing to expand here despite what a few legislators say.

10. CardinalVol

It's called reality jay. There's no strong arming involved. The likelihood of VW expanding if they unionize decreases dramatically, and incentives will have little to do with it.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

12. JayVols

The good people of TN need not fret. I'm sure there's a future Walmart out there to take that $500 million in incentives and replace those jobs with equal paying jobs should VW leave. It's all good.

13. CardinalVol

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Workers have the right to unionize.

15. JayVols

It is reality. The sole reason the incintives are being threatened to be pulled is because of a tantrum over unionization. And it IS strong-arming.

My my. How the worm turns. A Republican justifying gov't and a Democrat decrying it.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let's talk about picking winners and losers again.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You do understand that corporations are people (i.e., workers, stockholders) don't you?

18. CardinalVol

The the suppliers have the right to say, I don't want to deal with them.

And guess what, instead of another 1,000 or so jobs coming here, VW decides to build in Mexico (their other option), because it's cheaper.

So, 0 new jobs here, and we've already been down this path before at Spring Hill. Beautiful, state of the art facility is potentially empty.

19. CardinalVol

You would be good at it.

20. CardinalVol

And I will tell you it's all political speak. You can read above how it will work out.