This is what you get

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not old enough to know much about his days at UMass, but his great teams at Memphis were always stacked. Maybe not as stacked as this UK team, but still extremely talented nonetheless. Yet he never won it all with them, and failed with two UK teams that were full of NBA players as well.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That might be the most important asset to be a great college coach, actually any coach. Heck, Phil Jackson is by no means an schematic wizard, but the fact he kept those teams in Chicago and LA to co-exist with each other long enough to win is a miracle in itself. Same for Cal. Winning titles with tons of talent isn't as easy as it may appear.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

And I'm not sold on your ability to evaluate coaching. Or to appropriately characterize the narrative of a basketball game.

4. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Correct. Getting them to buy in, play defense and play hard are things people who do not coach simply can't understand how difficult that is. X's and O's at this time of year are overrated. As a coach a master of all is a master of none; you simply can't focus on everything.

If Cal (or any coach) isn't great in a certain area you hire assistants who are strong in those specific areas.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I couldn't come up with a list of teams that are more talented. I'm not hating on him as a coach; however, I just don't see anything he does schematically as being that impressive.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Getting a team full of first round draft picks to play hard isn't as hard as many of you would pretend., at least in my opinion. They know if they don't play hard, it will negatively affect their draft status. I'm sure Cal reminds them of this fact constantly. And, running isos to guys who are simply better than who they are going against isn't that difficult, nor is telling your perimeter defenders to hound the ball because if they get beat , Davis will simply send the ball up into the uppper deck. Let's not overrate Calipari as a coach because he won. His winning a title has much more to do with his recruiting prowess than his coaching.

For example, many, many people think Roy Williams is a sub-par floor coach but a great recruiter. He's got two rings, and he's won titles with two teams that weren't as talented as UK's this year.

Edit: Not sure how kb's post got quoted, was posting on my phone.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I can buy that. I think it's a tough call because he might be at the peak of his marketability, and the Knicks are probably dumb enough to offer him an absolutely crazy amount of money. But, the point that he might turn ADs off from hiring him again is a legitimate concern.

8. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I just don't agree with that, you could try to make that argument at all levels. At high schools there are plenty of programs loaded with talent that underachieve because the coach can't motivate them/won't hold them accountable and they are playing for scholarships. Whereas a Bob Hurley has the talent, holds the players accountable and continues to win as a result.

Rick Barnes has wasted loads of talent, how much NFL talent was wasted on Fulmer teams?

Their draft stock in the NBA isn't going to drop if they are little lazy on the defensive.

As a coach, when you have talent the worst thing you can do is over coach. Sometimes you have to get out of the way.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

hell the fab five never won a national championship.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

When has Rick Barnes had 5 or 6 players on one team that are first round draft picks? Cal's done it multiple times now and won one title. I'm not saying he's totally incompetent, but you guys are vastly overrating his in game coaching ability. As for the bolded part, that is exactly what Cal does and it works when you have 6 or 7 guys that are better than anyone you play.

11. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I've never said a word about his in game coaching. However people who consider the dribble-drive motion "pick-up" ball are really missing the mark. That being said he has adapted and isn't really a DDM guy like he was at Memphis.

As far as the he has better players argument, typically when is that not case that the national champion has better players? Not very often. The reason (one of) Shaka Smart presses is he thinks his 6-10 players are better than the opponents 6-10 and because his style builds depth (or is supposed to) as the season goes on.

I don't think Cal is one of the best coaches in the country but he is better than a lot of people give him credit for.

When he was at UMASS he did not have 5 or 6 first rounders and 6 or 7 players that were better than everyone they played.

12. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

This thread went from a bunch of bullshit speculation of the happenings in the locker room to a Calapari debate.

13. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

That's what fun about this place... they actually allow conversations to go where they go.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree with this, JZ. Sounds like after you clarified that we actually have agreed all along. I think he's a good coach; I don't think he's elite from an in-game coaching or schematic standpoint.

15. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I really enjoy talking about coaching so the more (reasonable) debate the better!

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

BBall coaches are overrated, especially middle school and asst high school coaches. Not needed IMO.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Really? So, Kentucky didn't have the game in hand, leading by 18, and then nearly blow it in the end, saved from a tight finish by Kansas blowing dunks, throwing the ball away, missing too many free throws, etc.? The second half for Kentucky was typical of a Cal team, playing tight in the critical moments, surviving this time instead of the usual choking. And, this wasn't the first time Cal has had teams in this situation. He has choked away numerous games over the years because he is a poor coach down the stretch of pressure games, which is reflected with his teams. He pissed away a potential title two years ago with a 4 lottery pick team because he sat there and did nothing when shooting 30 threes wasn't working, not to mention the title he choked away in 2008.

You may not be sold, but I speak the obvious truth.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well they got up by 18 points in the first place in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game. I don't see what "nearly" losing proves exactly.

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

It proves the dipshit Pearl sucks who claimed that fool was a better coach than Cal and that John would never win it all can go eat shit. That's what it proves.

20. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Cal has really struggled with his move to the SEC as well.