This is what you get

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Mar 29, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Beilein is so brilliant schematically that he's been coaching for roughly a thousand years and never figured out how to keep his teams from getting annihilated on the boards year after year.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, god forbid I read something and then comment on it. Fine, there's always a first time you didn't include me with the Pearl-fetishers like MHF. Fair enough.

3. hatvol96

I didn't mention MHFool in this thread. It was a very specific incident that I'm pretty sure most everyone else here was aware of and has been a running joke since Self won in 2008.

4. Unimane

I might buy that were it not for the track record of Calipari's team tightening up as big games move along and, until last night, losing in the end. Sorry, Cal's the guy whom I would want building my teams (if it's on the up and up), but I wouldn't want him on the sidelines in the second half of a championship game. Maybe he's getting better, but I still saw the same thing again from a Calipari team in the tournament, faltering down the stretch of a big game.

He still reminds me of a poor man's Dean Smith in terms of getting less out of more, although they did it in different ways.

5. Unimane

Ok, well, then I think we're talking on two different planes here. Like I said, fair enough, I'm not familiar with the comment from 2008.

How the hell we got this discussion on the Vol football board, I don't know, either.

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

But it's been the best discussion we've had in at least a week.

7. Unimane

True. There's only so many ways to talk about how shitty a coach Dooley is.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The two teams in 2008 were MUCH closer in talent than the UK and KU teams that played last night, and it's not even close. KU may have had more NBA players that year, but don't act like Memphis was lacking talent because they weren't at all.

Also, CDR was just good? Come on man. Compare his stats to Rose. He averaged 3 points per game more, the same number of rebounds, 3 less assists, the same TOs and steals, while shooting 54% from the field compared to Rose's 48%, and 41% from 3 compared to rose's 34%. He was a great college player.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Or, it might be that he fields small teams with big men that shoot. Also, you don't seem to see what the point of what I'm saying is. Beilein is better x's and o's, and Cal is the overall better coach. No question about that.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

No, it's not. It's an excuse to not teach fundamentals simply because you have better players. Not disputing its effectiveness, but is it some "smart" move by Calipari? Hell no, it's the easy move.

12. hatvol96

I wish Red Auerbach were alive so you could tell him the defense the Celtics dominated the NBA with for 15 years was fundamentally infirm. I'm sure he'd be glad to know he shouldn't have used Russell as a goalie because a bunch of high school coaches with 5'9" white guys in the post don't find it proper.

13. hatvol96

Yeah, the smart play would have been to have Davis, Jones, and MKG getting in foul trouble chasing people around screens instead of sitting back and using their natural ability. John Thompson never had Ewing, Muotombo, or Mourning running around hedging and chasing the Michael Adams, Chris Smiths, or Dana Barrios of the world. There's a reason for that. To do so would be ridiculous.

14. hatvol96

Darren Collison.
    Russell Westbrook.
    Josh Shipp.
    Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.
    Kevin Love.

That's the starting five Memphis dismantled in the 2008 national semifinals. I guess they had some great talent advantage in that one, too.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wait wait wait... before we move on to a new point, are you retracting your statement about CDR not being a great player?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  16. hatvol96

Why would I retract a statement that's accurate? CDR was nothing more than a good to possibly very good college player. He didn't remotely approach being a dominant force.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He was statistically better than Rose in nearly every category and lead the Tournament runner-up in scoring. He averaged 23 points per game during the tournament and dropped 28 on UCLA in the game you just mentioned. Sounds pretty damn dominant to me.

18. hatvol96

Josh Shipp scored more points that year than Kevin Love guess he was better. If you watched Memphis play at all that year and think CDR was remotely on Rose's level as a player, can't do much to help you.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'll throw my 2 cents in, though I'm a few bricks short of a load of basketball expertise:

There's maybe better X's and O's guys out there, but there's 1 thing that Cal does better than anybody else, and that's get players. There's another thing that he does at least as well as anyone else, and that's motivate those players to play hard and play together. And when it comes to X's and O's, maybe there's better guys out there, but Cal's teams aren't out there wandering aimlessly. I think he gives them a plan to execute, and they do it for the most part. For me, in basketball especially, getting players and getting them to play hard together is more important than X's and O's. I think the total package puts him right up there at the top.

Believe me, I take no joy in this thought.

As an aside, after seeing the title of this thread, I'll be singing Karma Police for a week.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Love averaged 17.5 pts per game to Shipp's 12.2 that season. I'm not saying CDR is on Rose's level, but if his stats can be that much better (shooting percentages included), he obviously is better than just a "good" player.