This May Be Stupid But...

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by LawVol13, Feb 16, 2014.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I'm not against it at all

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

To add onto that, by 2009 the man had turned into a complete shit behind the scenes. Becoming a perriniel one and done tourney team wouldn't come close to outweighing the negative.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Doesn't it depend on which tourney?

4. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Going back to Bruce is like getting back together with an ex that you had to dump because she was an untrustworthy drama queen who was fantastic in bed early on but got kind of stale as the relationship wore on. Over time and some lackluster girl friends you fondly remember all the great early sex and forget about the reasons you had to dump her. Getting back together would be an initial thrill but reality would soon prevail. We've been there, done that with Pearl. It was magical for the first few seasons for a variety of reasons that would probably not be there this time around. Plus I just can't get over how colossally stupid Pearl acted over the last year and can't help think that there's a fundamental character flaw and inability to stay out of trouble and you know the NCAA and other coaches will be watching him like a hawk and he'll get attention to all kinds of silly minor infractions that wouldn't even register with other coaches.

Long winded way of saying no thanks. I'll take my chances that they can come up with at least a Butch caliber hire.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Being a couple of wins better a year isn't an excuse to bring back our Petrino.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This Admin has shown itself capable of one thing - to withstand and refute any amount of pressure, be it internal or external, to do the right thing, however obvious to all others involved.

I'm just saying that they're not going to even heed, much less relent, to any manner of pressure to hire or rehire anyone that doesn't suit their aim - Bruce Pearl, included.

7. Tenacious D

Lest we forget, here is a quote from an ESPN story when Tennessee fired Bruce Pearl:

There are multiple reasons why Tennessee will not hire Pearl back, simply contained in that short text, alone.

Link: http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=6243862&src=desktop

8. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yep. It ain't happenin'

Not saying I would be against hiring him back, I would be fine with it, but as others have said, we will only hire someone as good as Cuonzo or worse.

Might as well keep him if there's a good chance we hire someone worse.

9. MWR

MWR Contributor

What program???

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't know. Avoiding the NIT should be a high priority in my opinion whether by wins or losses. It's a no win situation. Win it all, and you are the smartest kid eating boogers. Get bounced early, and you're the kid crapping your pants in class.

11. Tenacious D

And not to hijack the thread, I would say that its virtually impossible that we miss the tourney. While I don't think that the SEC deserves to get more than 2 teams in - 3 max - I just think the Committee will feel compelled to bring in four, if even remotely defensible. With that premise, which could easily be flawed, there just don't seem to be enough shitty teams in the SEC to prevent ou being one of those 3-4 teams, barring an absolute and complete collapse (2+ losses in regular season and a first round bounce in SECT).

But, even IF we do miss the tourney - I simply don't see any reason to believe that Cuonzo doesn't get another year. None, whatsoever.

12. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I'm not sure the UTAD could swallow their collective pride to hire Pearl back. He's probably the best coach UT could hire but that doesn't make him the right hire. We know enough from this group to know that they aren't going to open the checkbook to get a proven commodity. It'll be another reach and another three year lease that sends us closer and closer to the Wade Houston era.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

why would he be the best coach UT could hire?

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Best known quantity, because you might as well rule out this admin going for a home run.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yep. We've got a blue light special mentality in a filet mignon sports world.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they could get lucky with a relatively unknown coach. seems to me if pearl was still respected enough to be landing tier 1 jobs that he'd already have one. the fact he's simply stayed around Knoxville bidding his time is a tad fulmeresque.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

which is why I put the part about 'best known quantity' in there

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

many of his best known quantities aren't on the pro side of the ledger.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

we're not making this into the 1/3 vs 0.33333 discussion here. on his basketball coaching merits, he probably is the best known quantity

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

He's really developed a nice offensive game, without a doubt. Everyone is wrong occasionally just like you have been numerous times with your over the top endorsements of teams that ultimately suck.