This Saturday is the whole season

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 16, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Outside of Charlotte, every team left on the schedule has outperformed us and looked better this season and last season. The closest team to our level is actually Florida. Really. I have watched Missouri- they are clearly better. I have watched Vanderbilt- better. I have watched Kentucky- better.

I have only watched about 2 minutes of Alabama total-- they're light years better.

Auburn is clearly better. Georgia is much, much better. South Carolina looks to be better than Florida, at least.

And that's it, guys. That is everyone left on the schedule. If Tennessee can't beat Florida, based on where Florida started this season, how in the hell are they going to improve enough over the same amount of time (3 weeks) to beat South Carolina or the other SEC teams?

Saturday is the season. Maybe it isn't the entire book on Pruitt... but maybe it is. We have 85 people who are not walk-ons, who were rated as being at least decent prospects. Our roster quality is not inferior to Florida's, South Carolina's, Kentucky's, Vanderbilt's, or Missouri's.

This is the season. This is the real test, and maybe the most fair test possible. 1st year coach vs 1st year coach. 4 win teams. Some talent on the roster.

If Tennessee can't win, I move from optimistic to skeptical on Pruitt. I'm not saying it is time to fire his ass, I am just saying I guess I will begin looking forward to the coaching search in 2021.

NEW COACH likes this.
  2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No way would I call Missouri clearly better.

justingroves likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Have you watched them play?

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How far the mighty have fallen

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

They beat an average FCS team, Wyoming and scraped by a Purdue team that was bested by Directional Michigan

NYY likes this.
  6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

And they have Dooley

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

And Tennessee has done what exactly? I think by the time they play Tennessee may well be better but it’s no sure thing.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm going to say something hurtful and I'm sorry:

That Purdue win is bigger than anything these Vols have done in more than a Calendar year.

And... That Wyoming win is bigger than anything these Vols have done in more than a Calendar year.

Lock can score. He's a threat to score every possession. We don't have anything comparable.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We've jumped the shark when fans fear Dooley.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's no fear of Dooley here. He's a poison pill. Lock is already established.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Dooley sucking aside, I agree with IP. Regardless of whether there's another SEC win on the schedule or not. We will be measured against UF. Lose this game and they are out and overlooked until the same game next year. Any win outside of bammer or UGA will be looked at as a fluke and forgotten in a week, and I don't see a bammer or UGA upset as likely at all.

awebb7 likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

This team and staff has played 3 games. Not right to hold the staff accountable for previous failures.

GahLee and TangoUniform like this.
  13. RockyHill

I just think you have to have one of UF, AU, UGA and USCe. UF is the easiest one to get.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's this simple.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

UGA seems impossible- only slightly less impossible than Bama. AU is unlikely. To be frank, I am not sure USCe alone really matters. I will definitely want it, but UF is the real test in terms of trajectory. Either UT or UF will bounce back. Not both.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We beat Florida by ten or more.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Zero reason to lose this game. We have equal talent, they have Butch jr. on their sideline, primetime game at home that could have an atmosphere similar to 2015 Oklahoma. If Pruitt is going to be successful here, this is the type of games he cannnot lose.

18. RockyHill

I meant it only from the perspective that I don’t really think they can win out after USCe. I think if they want to bowl they have to get UF or USCe, jmo.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't see how they could win out if they don't win a game for the next 5 weeks.

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

UF is the easiest win and that CSU game for them wasn't the blowout that the score depicts.

Their ST did a lot of the heavy lifting. Not sure our Off will do much against their D, especially our OL vs their DL.

I expect we kept most blitz packages in the hold waiting for UF so hope you we can pressure Franks into several key mistakes.

Hopefully our Off opens it up passing.