This team

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by justingroves, Mar 29, 2019.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I have thoroughly enjoyed this team and this group of guys. They made me care on a personal level.

I had a hard time enjoying Pearl because he sucks so bad at life. I had a different perspective than most on him.

Counzo, good guy, bad coach with a terrible ending here. Donnie Tyndall was a complete failure as a hire.

Barnes got just about everything humanely possible out of this team. This is an overachieving group of guys that aren't in the top 5 of Tennessee's most talented teams.

I want this to be the foundation on which a perennial national title contender is born. We'll see. Either way, I'll have fond memories of this group of guys.

MaconVol, SeabeeVol, TBSVOL and 12 others like this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Well said. Frustrating end but again, give me up 3 with 30 seconds left and forcing a 27 foot fade away, and give me up 2 with 1.7 seconds left and I would take it again today. We had it right there.

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Ditto groves. I posted something similar in the Purdue thread. Well said

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Well that’s the high water mark and we had about an 80% chance of winning so I would take it too. At no point during this season would I take an L in the sweet 16 to a worse seeded team though. Saying you would take a moment where it looks like we are about to win doesn’t mean a lot.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m sure I’ll feel this way before long. I’m not done hurting

A-Smith likes this.
  6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Gonna take a Duke and Kentucky loss this weekend just to get me back to moderate depression.

GahLee likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

Well I'm just discussing the game and pointing out if you give me that position in a sweet 16 game before the year begins, I would be happy due to the chances of an elite 8 were 1 second away.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just the unrealized potential that gets me so bad. The 2018 football team pissed me off plenty, but I always knew those guys weren't destined for anything special. These guys had Final Four potential and definitely SEC Tournament champs potential the last two years and couldn't get it done.

Dalekanium and lylsmorr like this.
  9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I guess if that makes you feel better I shouldn’t try to argue you out of it, Smiff.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I feel like this is just going to be life with Richt Barnes.

YankeeVol and Savage Orange like this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ouch. Very appropriate.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes, but he's better than anyone else Tennessee has had since Mears

13. Ssmiff

I feel like shit. Half Jack honey and half the loss.
    When I say I would take it, its obviously under the assumption we get it done.

A-Smith likes this.
  14. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

He’s better than Mears. And I have all the respect in the world for Mears. But he never won a single tournament game here. (Yes I know it was only a 32 team field in those days.)

15. Ssmiff

Locker room video is tough to watch. Barnes tearing up. Turner head hanging. This meant the world to them.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

And yet our basketball fanbase could be on par with Kentucky’s and Carolina’s if given the positive reinforcement.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah I can’t watch that.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's puzzling. So invested, and I believe they were, and yet they lay an egg in the first half. I don't understand.

19. Ssmiff

Who knows. Couldnt sleep and watched shit basketball after. 1, ugly basketball was abundant. 2. Nobody has players hit more bullshit well guarded 3s than we do.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Even though it looked like laziness and lack of effort, I don’t think it was. I actually think it was tightness and not understanding that they HAD to play a certain way to win ballgames and that that way couldn’t/shouldn’t change style of play in he tourney. I’m not sure why they didn’t understand that, but it’s clear they didn’t. I also think they were a group that fed off positive emotion when shots go in and went into a shell wheb they’re not falling. They really seemed to NEED positive kinetic energy to get things going. Schofield probably best epitomizes all that.