Thoughts after the GT

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 5, 2017.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He would give some asinine answer like the following:

"UT identity is up-tempo and complimentary football. We try to get favorable match-ups on mixed downs all the while making the critical decisions that are necessary."

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

It's a pretty simple question, applicable not only to football, but to pretty much anything.

What are you trying to accomplish? How are you trying to do it?

I don't understand UT's answers to those questions, and I'm afraid it's because there aren't any.

3. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Yes you can, Tenny. Butch is either hell-bent on playing upperclassmen over talent or inept at recognizing talent for what it is. I tend to believe it's the second, there are too many examples: Hurd over Kamara (at the very least, AK should have been as much as part of the offense as Hurd--they're both talented, just two different backs), Jumper over Kirkland, Worley over Dobbs, etc. etc.

The trend will continue so long as he's here. I'm also beginning to develop the opinion that he has his hand on the defense more than is reported. Shoop wasn't this f'ing putrid before he arrived here, in fact he was pretty damn good. I find it hard to believe that he all of a sudden forgot how to coach.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

With Kelly IZ would be my baby identity and everything else would be built around constraints to keep that play alive

5. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

absolutely agree.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Worst, I think that the answers are obvious:

1. TN Admin wants the football program to be "good enough" so as to keep the money flowing, and 70% of its fan base relatively happy, but not so good as to hold any uncheckable weight that could transcend the Admin in any way, and

2. The boosters want to win games, but are most concerned (far and away) with having a coach who will step and fetch to their personal and selfish whims, and who will seek to pat them on the back and make them feel important and part of his circle whenever possible, and

3. We have fans who not only don't understand these dynamics, the concept of value & ROI, the immense resources at our disposal and the comparatively paltry results it produces, or the caliber of high-quality and well-proven coaches who would KILL for this job (if it weren't for 1 & 2, above) and actively resist the very mention or suggestion of any, however necessary and well-intended.

The Admin and boosters only want a coach who they can control by keeping under their thumbs and at heel, and the fans think that they should automatically trust these people, blindly support whatever schlep they hire (simply for having been hired), and are thankful to have even that....even as they give Top 10-caliber devotions and donations for what are routinely little more than Top 25-100 level results.

And this dysfunctional system perpetuates itself because the local Knoxville media is complicit in the whole deal, and neither wants to do their jobs and risk upsetting TN, the boosters and fans by telling these truths, and which largely no one wants to be heard / told.

This is why we don't have who was on the line, and who was and should have been here, when Butch's ****ing retarded ass was hired.

And it's why they're all hoping against hope to be able to keep Butch for as long as they possibly can, and also why we have no legitimate shot at Chip Kelly, or any other high-quality and well-proven coach, even if Jones forces them to fire him.

I honestly long ago gave up giving a shit if anyone* believes me or not, likes it, doesn't like it, doesn't want to read it, hates me for saying it, stupidly thinks that this is click-bait, avoids this site for opinions of this nature, prefers other boards who only allow the group-think of positively pablum silliness, or who simply chooses to run around in a circle until they're dizzy and fall down - this is the truth.

If you don't believe this, then you aren't paying close enough attention and/or you're severely retarded, and which most likely resulted from your having parents who were not only first cousins, but who were each also terrible at recognizing things which are painfully obvious - like having retarded kids was a normally expected outcome of banging your first cousin.

*None of this is directed "at" you Cotton, I'm just using my reply to your post as the soap box that I happened to have replied to.

7. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It seems that exact same way with recruiting as well. I have no idea what the recruiting strategy has been for this staff. Why is Dormady on this team? He is a pro-style quarterback. Did he sign him just because he could sign him? He's an ok talent but he doesn't fit this system at all and this ****tard staff has either no idea how or no intent to adapt the offense to the personnel. There is no identity on either side of the ball. These dumbasses don't go out and find the 'style' guys they need...it's like a ****ing easter egg hunt with them. They try to throw as many eggs in their mother****ing pink basket by signing day no matter if they fit the team needs or not. Unbelievable.

8. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Summary: Basically it's all business and not about winning championships. Win enough to keep the lemming fans in the matrix.

9. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Well then Shoop is just a "yes man" that doesn't give a shit.

10. Tenacious D

Sort of, but not really. It's not about business (take a look at Bama's financial statements....they have the best team and highest paid coach in the world....and are ROLLING in dough), but protecting and preserving the total control by the few, above all else and even if not in the ultimate and best interests of the many, so as to continue to direct the outcomes toward their own personal and self-serving preferences, alone.

When Lane Kiffin said that Tennessee isn't serious about winning, he spoke from experience and was telling the truth.

11. Tenacious D

Fair.

12. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

Sounds like we are the North Korea of college football.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I didn't take it personally. All I will point out is that there is a new sheriff in the AD now, and I actually believe that Currie will try to hold the football program, and in fact all of the programs, to a higher standard. Whether he will be able to do it or not is another, more structural question, but I'm hopeful. After all, somebody hired him, despite his reputation as being kind of a "my way or the highway" [penis].

Also, my parents aren't related. Dad's first cousin married Mom's sister, so even though I have an uncle-cousin, it's actually OK.

That's pretty much the way I see it, too.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  14. Tenacious D

No, however terribly misguided, North Korea will at least threaten a fight. And, they only have one totalitarian ruler, and whereas we have several in their own little fiefdoms.

We just silently succumb to mediocrity, routinely suffer as a national laughingstock, put some fresh stickers on trash cans and convince ourselves that something - anything - other than pursuing championships is of any importance, whatsoever.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Butch was legitimately shocked when big time prospects gave him the time of day when he first started here. The 2018 class is very good along the DL and the OL. The two QB commits are dual threat guys too. There's at least some kind of identity there

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I was speaking specifically to running plays. So yes.

17. Beechervol

Wouldn't have mattered had he was.

He would have gone into "resolvency of very very young individuals trying to play complementary football with a trash can that are 5* heart guys that have my back! and are champions of life trying to go 1-0 every week and needing to keep eye discipline on the process while I put you on the list that I keep in back pocket".

18. Beechervol

This wouldn't surprise me either. How did I even land this job after my first trip to Knoxville?

19. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Agreed, Bama put in the money to make the money and built a dynasty. They're the big car dealership nationwide, TN is the corner lot being content. Being the big dog in the state is good enough with the loyal customers.