Thoughts on A&M possibly joining the SEC?

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Vols kick balls, Aug 9, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Welcome aboard, two new guys. Stick around. Things will pick up shortly.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the DC/Baltimore area could become a college football market, if they were being exposed to the top product in the SEC. They like winners.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I see no real value in adding A&M. Never have, never will.

4. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Not sure how I feel about A&M( cant see the value or positives for the SEC), but I dont think they go anywhere without TTU

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How effing far away is College Station from some of the more Eastern schools?

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Its a substantial trip and I would never want to go back to that shithole of a town either.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Alright, now that I can make sure I get an answer from a poster that isn't mentally challenged...what exactly does TAMU bring to the SEC? How much money would the new supposed TV contracts/getting into the Texas market bring? It won't help recruiting that much, I don't think.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I suppose if Tennessee frequently went out there and whipped their asses it might help us recruiting in Texas. However, I think more than anything it'll give TAMU the SEC angle for their recruiting. It'll help them wrestle a few from UT-Austin. Probably won't give us much of a boost. Maybe helps a few SEC-West schools out.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't think it will help recruiting really (and most Texas recruits have been busts here in the last decade anyway), but I've got to think adding Houston and Dallas, plus with the recent PAC 12 deal would mean that as a whole it would up the ante considerably per school.

I would personally love to see a game at College Station. I realize it's dorky, but I like the traditions there and all of the stuff surroundign the school. I just think it's neat and as a whoel they'd fit in well.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There is something to be said about not being left behind. If conferences are progressing towards more teams, then we don't want to be picking at the scraps in order to get enough teams to be up there with the big conferences. TAMU is better than some other junk we could end up with.

11. CardinalVol

One reason I like it is because it adds a team that helps the conference out $ wise but at the same time isn't going to be winning league titles year in and year out. They'll be competitive, but it's not like what it would be if Oklahoma joined.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't see much value, but as long as we still get to play Alabama every year I won't be devastated.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I see a re-alignment in the divisions coming very soon.

TAMU, Arkansas, LSU, MSU, Ole Miss, Vandy and maybe Mizzou

Tennessee, UGA, Auburn, Alabama, UK, USCe and maybe UVA/Duke

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The thing about that is the top division seems weak. LSU would probably dominate for at least a few years.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think so too but that is 8 to 10 years done the road imo jmo ifyam.

16. Hobock

Hobock New Member

Somebody please explain to me how you consistently get a clean SEC championship out of 4 divisions. And what would be the 4-team format?

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You have a 3 game "playoff" where the top four play and then the top two play.

Winner is the SEC Champion.

18. Hobock

Hobock New Member

So you seed it? 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3? Tiebreakers?

19. CardinalVol

We givign Florida the boot?

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm going on what the "PAC-16" was going to do.

You have four divisions. The division winners are seeded 1-4. 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3. The winner of those two play the conference championship game. I don't know how the tiebreakers would work out