Thoughts on Florida

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

And ftr, we blitzed 8 times on UFs first 2 drives. I believe someone said we didn’t blitz much. Most of UFs big gains early on were against blitzes.

ole_orange and IP like this.
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Delete good, funny, and humor and you nailed it

3. Ssmiff

Someone sprained a silly humor ligament.
    Had to use Mapquest from 2006 to find the place is good stuff. Helicopter dropping off is good stuff. Arky whining and getting booted.
    We will be here for at least a week because we have a bye. Ga laughing at KY. It’s good stuff

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The ideas are decent. The writing and acting mostly ruin it.

IP likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's what make them so great.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

If those are great, we’ve really devalued the word

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Do you have any evidence to back up anything you said in this post?

Even if what you say is true, Florida scored 0 points in their first two possessions, then scored 5 TD’s in their following 8 possessions, and that’s including the fumble in the redzone that ended a 13 play, 83 yard drive that looked primed to score, as well as the final possession, when a blitz forced Richardson to throw up a prayer for an interception.

0/2 vs 5/8? Sounds like we should have blitzed more.

8. Ssmiff

No evidence, except watching the replay and pausing when I see an lb blitz, run blitz, safety blitz from flowers, star blitz from 12, corner blitz from 5, zone blitz dropping de/olb into coverage, delayed blitz,
    The series where Hadden missed him on 3rd and long, losing contain, then they scored 2 plays later, was a corner blitz.

VolDad, InVolNerable and SetVol13 like this.
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't know how you expect me to respond to this. Give me how much time left in the game or something.

After we went up 17:

Play 1: rushed 4
    Play 2: rushed 4
    Play 3: (3rd and 14): Rushed 4, 16 yard pass for a first down
    Play 4: (1st and 15): Rushed 4
    Play 5: (2nd and 15): Rushed 4
    Play 6: Rushed 3: 39 yard pass.
    Play 7: Rushed 4
    Play 8: Rushed 5 (forced throw away) (Announcer says "finally dialed up a blitz that time)
    Play 9: Rushed 4
    Play 10: (5 yard line): Rushed 4, TD.

Play 11: (1st and 10): Rushed 4, 28 yard pass (announcer calls out how the route took all day)
    Play 12: Rushed 4
    Play 13: Rushed 3, 16 yard pass
    Play 14: Spike (rushed 3)
    Play 15: Rushed 3, 24 yard pass
    Play 16: (4 yard line): Rushed 5, incomplete
    Play 17: (4 yard line): Rushed 4, TD

Play 18: Rushed 4, 14 yard gain and Out of bounds
    Play 19: Rushed 6, incomplete (bad throw)
    Play 20: Rushed 6, pressure, INT

We had 19 plays (not counting the spike). We rushed more than 4 people just 4 times, and all 4 of them we incomplete or negative plays.

10. Ssmiff

I think you’ll find many good and great coaches up 17 in the 4th quarter with 8 minutes left will not go man and risk a big play with a safety or lb on a slot, fade or crossing route. I’m sure many also wish they would have sent blitzes a couple more times. Every nfl team will sit back and play the clock game at that point and not try to get beat deep. Stop playing such a soft zone and make a play on 4th down are better answers imo than sending 6 and risking a big play, up 3 scores in the 4th (or 2 scores with UF coach math)

11. Ssmiff

i just watched UF offense after we went up 17 and see it differently:
    1. 4 man rush. Stunt and sack.
    2. 4 man. Pressure overthrow to a player not really open
    3. Fake blitz. 4 man pressures him to buy time right. 14 needs to just look to his right at the only wr close and make a play. He’s in a zone so only looking at the qb. Dbs have to be able to do both. We watch too much.
    4. 4 man pressure again. Throw away
    5. Zone blitz sending 12 but only send 4. Qb escapes pressure for short run
    *6. Send 3. Woulda changed this. 6 dbs and 2 man wr routes deep. Nobody within 6 yards of them as they break their route off, and they are close to each other.
    7. Rush 4, overthrow.
    8. Blitz. Pressure and throw away.
    9. Rush 4. Quick slant doesn’t matter if we blitz
    10. Run for td
    11. Rush 4. We are up 2 scores with 1:10 left so every team will be too soft for comfort.
    12. Rush 4 batted ball.
    13. Rush 3 dump to rb.
    14. Rush 3. Classic prevent up 2 scores with 35 seconds left.
    15. Blitz throw away.
    16. Quick slant

there’s much more to it than we stopped them when we blitzed and gave up big plays when we didn’t. Desperation, prevent, etc comes into play the last 9-10 plays. And we pressured with 4 well for the most part. Play 6 was bad call and bad play.
    When Richardson buys time due to pressure from 4 and makes a play, you can’t really blame it on lack of pressure. It’s a 6’5 240 nfl player making a play and a wr squatting down in front of our dbs who don’t see or feel it happening.

IP likes this.
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We didn't have to go man to risk a big play. We were giving up big plays left and right without the risk. What's the difference?

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It just so happened that the 4 times we sent more than 4 people on those 3 drives, we had positive outcomes. No one said "blitzes worked every time." You're the king of arguing with points I don't make.

You keep talking about how it's on the DB's. Did we get new DB's at halftime or something? Did the coaches come into the 2nd half having never seen the DBs play before? If, as a coach, you know your DB's are going to leave guys open in a soft zone, and then you watch them leave guys open in a soft zone, can you blame the DB's if you refuse to adjust and the opponent keeps beating your soft zone?

14. Ssmiff

Yes I can blame the coach and the player. Comes a time when you play ball to overcome coaching or scheme. Like Dobbs did. People think I’m taking up for coaches everytime I mention a player doing something instinctual to make a play. Hopefully, we see the Deon Grant types again who play the same defenses but know where the holes are and beat the wr to them. I’m not sure if our players are taught to not take chances, or just can’t find the chances to take when they have help.
    It happens in nfl, nba, cb, cfb. Players get caught ball watching. The best ones don’t. it shouldn’t be such a problem to have player just take a quick glance right and see a wr coming into his area.
    I have never liked the idea of zone was for every player dropping in coverage to watch the qb. Watch everything you can. Multiple players defend grass while teams hit the windows on the other side.

15. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Some of y’all have too much [uck fay]ing time on your hands.

InVolNerable and OneForVol like this.
  16. JohnnyQuickkick

Amen to that

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I was off work yesterday. I don't have kids yet. I enjoy discussing UT football.