Thoughts on The Purdue Win.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by LawVol13, Nov 23, 2017.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

1.) Admiral Schofield is the most improved player on this team. He struggled some offensively, but his ability to guard both the 3 and the post is extremely impressive. He was fantastic defensively.

2.) The guard play is also much, much better. Barnes has three guys that are good players to rotate at point now.

3.) Grant Williams has all-American potential. He simply took over the second half against a vastly bigger front line.

4.) Alexander has bulked up and can hold up inside now. He's always had some obvious potential but the frame held him back. A double-double against Purdue's front line is nothing to sneeze at.

5.) Tennessee is an impressive looking team. Big, strong, tough team. Barnes has put this team together well and they appear to have started this season adopting his hard nosed mindset.

6.) The key to sustained success this season is the continued commitment to excellent halfcourt defense and attacking the glass. Yesterday was a good lesson that Tennessee can shoot the ball poorly and still beat good teams if they play to that level on the glass and defensively.

7.) I'm a big Barnes fan. Love the offense. Love the defensive tenacity. Early on, this team definitely looks like it can challenge for an NCAA tourney bid, which is exactly where they should be.

8.) Today will be another good barometer. I can't wait to see it.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Admiral was +19 and Alexander +11. Bowden -6 and Walker -10 in only 9 minutes, which is kindof a fluke.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Schofield was living up to his naval rank yesterday. I appreciate his effort, even with the offensive struggles.

I didn't know Grant Williams has that ability in him. Wow, he's a difference-maker.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The smaller bigs like Williams and Schofield make it easy to switch on screens. The movement on offense is very good

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I feel like Admiral is every bit as important to this team as Williams. His defensive flexibility is just really impressive.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  6. midtownvol83

midtownvol83 Active Member

Glad to see Admiral and Turner bounce back this year. Especially Turner. Couldn’t stand watching him last year.

I feel like we likely see a few transfers this year. Not sure if Darrington stays. Zack Kent didn’t look SEC caliber after the first few games but we will see. Jalen Johnson also is a possibility. I hope Fulkerson can get going again also.

7. Ssmiff

hope a couple do transfer so Barnes can fill their spots with guys that will challenge for PT, like Daniels and Darrington

8. Ssmiff

Bone, Turner, Grant, Bowden only sophs and none at risk to go pro early. That's a really good base for the next 3 seasons. only sr playing right now is Daniel.

LawVol13 likes this.
  9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Thanks for the write up Law. Hopefully we can pull off a Win today.

awebb7 and LawVol13 like this.
  10. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Tough breaks today, but fun to watch.

11. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Also, glad someone is doing these again. Thanks Law.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So maybe Purdue isn't that good