Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Jun 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If we are in a simulation, and this is no new hypothesis, that doesn't mean our creator is some infallible god who loves us. I am as much a god when I play The Sims, if this is the case. And I am hardly infallible.

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/3/11837888/simulation-problem

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

All this makes my head hurt.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, this idea has been around for awhile in some form or another. I think that folks tend to mistake irreducible complexity for engineering, whether that is your average Joe thinking about nature or a physicist getting into theoretical tachyons.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

People can't deal with the idea that the irreducible and organized complexity of our universe has no cause, as everything we can observe is governed by cause-effect relationships.

8. NorrisAlan

But if there are infinite regression of causes, eh. Same as sitting at the number 3 on the number line and asking what the first integer is. You go back and you get to zero. But there is -1...-2...-3...ad infinitum.

There doesn't have to be a first cause in this case. We want there to be one, but that doesn't mean there has to be one.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Science.

He'll change his mind in a couple of years.

10. NorrisAlan

And to me, that is the beauty of science. You go where the evidence leads you.

I will say I have not read his work, so I am not willing to say this is a big simulation. I frankly think it will be as impossible to show as there is to show God exists. And mostly is a waste of time. But I could be proven wrong in the future! Science!

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Not the start.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You are assuming a start

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I laughed.

15. NorrisAlan

Why? Anything you can think of has no true start, but is a culmination of previous conditions. Me typing this post has no true start. I had to load the page first. Before that I had to start up Chrome. Before that I had to log into my PC, walk into my office, park my truck, drive to work, get in the truck, etc, etc.

So why must the Universe and Everything in it have a start?

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Not true. It all started somewhere. This silliness that there isn't a true start is philosophy run amok.

17. NorrisAlan

Saying it has a start is just as silly as saying it doesn't have a start. Why must it have a start?

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Because nothing has a start, right? Condition to begin is a way to make the problem science can't answer just go away.

19. NorrisAlan

Then what started that condition that started the universe? Something, somewhere, has to infinitely regress. It is a perfectly good answer.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't know. Seems this guy was arguing God. Seems a lot of people do. A lot of people avoiding the greater being idea like "no real starts" type of analysis.