Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Im from Indiana and have a number of friends who went to Purdue, so I’m obviously feeling this one.

Got a guy on Facebook openly admitting that he reached the ball across the plane before the whistle, but that the runner was ruled down before the whistle.

No explanation for where or how. It’s completely arbitrary. Ref decides on a whim.

It’s a joke.

2. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

It's a joke man. Perdue can eat shit.

3. cpninja

cpninja Member

Dont understand a 56yd FG vs a hail mary to end regulation. We had the deep ball all day and feels like a another shot was higher % than a very long FG with a college kicker. Fun game to watch, sure as shit hope we never play another music city bowl again though. And [uck fay] the Titans for that godawful turf too

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

With videos, photos, ncaa rules, and my superior arguing skills (lol), the Facebook Purdue fans (2 of them) have conceded and admitted that the call was wrong. They did point out that the TD would not have guaranteed UT victory, which I think is fair.

I feel a little better now.

5. KyleAlexanderfan

Probably true. Has McGrath ever shown the leg to even hit that?

6. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

He seemed uncomfortable on the playing surface in regards to running.

I wish they would have gone back to the speed option play again late.

7. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Only warmups, but they did mention he was hitting closer to 60 in pregame.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don’t trust that kid past 40, much less 56

justingroves and Memtownvol like this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We had wrs at all 3 levels, short, middle and deep. 4 wr routes. It wasn't a 1 man single read route.

10. KyleAlexanderfan

So?

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I think it's clear that their QB plus that offense makes it go, and we have been largely dogshit on the back end all year other than Alontae.

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

That being said, we got pushed around on both lines. That is not good news for the future. That HAS to get fixed if we want to improve year on year.

Memtownvol likes this.
  13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

They were taking hypotheticals for why Purdue might not have a guy back to return.

14. Ssmiff

You keep complaining that "the play shouldn't have been called" and we shoulda hit them intermediate over the middle. I'm telling you we had wrs running the routes you are whining about and you are misinformed.

15. Ssmiff

Our DL did next to nothing. We did rush for almost 300

16. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Again, this is going to sound ridiculous, but we do that because of scheme. There wasn't many runs where we just gashed them, and we didn't get very much push all game long. This offense has so much potential, but we're kidding ourselves if we look at last night and call it efficient offensive football just because we racked up yards and points. There is a lot of work that needs to be done if we are to translate that potential into winning football.

17. Ssmiff

Doesn't sound ridiculous but we got nothing outside of the tackle box so 300 rushing in between the tackles means we are blocking somebody. Always work but I'm not going to complain if our offense puts up 45, 300 rushing and 5 td throws every game

18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

We were blocking them, but we certainly weren't mauling them in the way that nearly 300 yards on the ground would have you think. Again, scheme forces the defense to choose. They can't stack the box(especially not last night with their personnel issues) so they have to bow up and matchup with the players that are inside the hatches minus a safety and sometimes two. Given we also have a run threat at QB, that means at worse we have a numbers advantage of one player, often times two. So we're going to get our yardage, but too many times we ran into a wall and had to push just to get three or four yards. For an offense that goes off the IZ that isn't good enough. We weren't sealing inside and we weren't sealing off the outside enough. When we did, we hit for long gains.

Memtownvol likes this.
  19. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Also, I think people need to understand some of the non-negotiable aspects of this offense. When our pace got disrupted, our offense lost it's efficiency big time. The pace is the most important aspect of this offense. And because of that pace we have to be efficient, or it puts our defense in a bind. Even if we found two ready made CBs, two LBs, a safety and a dominant DT in the off-season, this will still be an inherent weakness. The good news is, if we ever get a consistently accurate QB, this offense will be a juggernaut. But unless we get a Georgia level defense, our offense will dictate how many points our defense gives up.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It would be nice if something is done about the fake injury BS

chavisut, Poppa T, AbeFroman and 2 others like this.