Three Major Problems with this class

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by chavisut, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Then when 3 years are over and we haven't been successful, you can [itch bay] about it. Until then, the "worse than we should've been" argument is still fine, but the "haven't improved over a vastly better 2009 roster" is infelicitous.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I felt like the team took a step backwards, even considering the injuries, over the course of last season.

3. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

The one excuse I do think matters is this team was beat up and sick of playing when we faced Kentucky. The issue was not necessarily Xs and Os at the end. The issue was heart on Offense. It seemed like they just wanted to be done and were going through motions. I say this as a positive observation. If it was a heart issue if we can keep things positive to start out this season then maybe we can stay rolling.

I have no idea what to expect form our D. It could be a disaster it could be amazing. It is a box of chocolates.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Do you honestly believe Dooley will be successful? If so I feel sorry for you.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Just made a ban bet that I will leave toos if Dooley wins the east.

6. Tar Volon

Not really. But the case against Dooley is strong enough that there's really no reason for you to overstate it.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Honestly its hard for me not to. I really hate the fact that this guy is getting rich off of UT money, especially since he does not deserve it.

8. Tar Volon

Whereas I don't hate the person at all. He'd have been an idiot not to take the job, no reason to hate him for it. Least not in my eyes. Hammy, on the other hand. . .

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

A team full of quitters is never a positive. There are plenty of people on this site who have faced a lot more adversity than a stupid football season gone amok and they never quit. It IS an indication of bad leadership and poor character.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Hypothetically, would you dislike a person if they fooled you into becoming CEO of your company so he/she could help you turn it around, only to find out they suck at their job and did nothing but take your money? I know I would be mad at myself for making a piss poor hire but I would also have some distaste for that person. Thats just me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Maybe but attitudes can change. If Chaney is the problem there is no hope. They were 19 year old kids mainly on offense. Poole actually looked like the best player on offense the last two games. And he is not. He is just older. The fact they went through this may make them never want to be losers again.

All we can do is wait. I think people saying we have no chance of winning games this year are as absurd as those who are saying we will have this record breaking offense and win the East. We honestly don't know.

If I was forced to pick the number of wins on this team I would say 8 but this year to me seems like a year you win 8-10 or the team falls apart again and we win 5 or 4 games. The average there may be about 6-7 games but I do not see it playing out that way. Momentum is huge in college football with young kids.

For Example, if we beat NC State and UF we are not going to just win 8 barring major injuries this team will roll to 10 IMO. On the flip side if we lose to NC State we may win 4. Welcome to the SEC.

All JMO and meaningless ramble but my thoughts nonetheless.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I agree with a lot of this. Internet posters aren't the only ones with shaky faith in Dooley. Early disappointments and the team that lost to UK will make a return.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Obviously the LB debacle was disappointing.

But -- and please correct me if I am wrong -- Crowder, Posey and Kerbyson all red-shirted. They are technically the "freshman" class for the OL if that is the case, and I imagine that not really pursuing that position probably means they like what they have there. The class as I saw needed to upgrade at WR, DT, RB, and LB. They did two of those four for sure. Maybe Bourque and Hill will be the missing piece we wanted at RB. The LB need is glaring and it wasn't answered satisfactorily.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Those 3 were all red shirted and I know the reasoning for it, I just don't agree with it. 2 injuries and Tennessee is shuffling to make things work.

15. GoVols

GoVols Member

Makes you wonder if Dooley was Saban's recruiting cord like Kirby Smart is Saban's DC.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

So if Worley hadn't of burned his RS would it have been smart to not sign another QB? I don't like that logic.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

No, because a QB graduated and another transferred. Plus, you get a QB every class as a general rule.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Did you watch the offensive line last year? Bringing in competition for that unit was probably a good idea.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Other than Humphries -- who they missed -- what other OL prospects were game ready and available without compromising our other needs? (I guess we missed on Cochran too?)

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I think you're on to something.