Three Major Problems with this class

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by chavisut, Feb 1, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

We "needed" ten more wide receivers?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jelks and the Diamond kid from Illinois (I think that's where he was from).

The staff didn't really even attempt to go after any others

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Did we sign ten?

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Let me rephrase: What is an acceptable number of receivers to sign to guarantee we never see Zach Rogers in the slot?

5. govols74n

govols74n New Member

Laughed at that one

6. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

To me, the only glaring need not addressed with this class is the LB position. WR needed some boost to help immediately, and to fill out with depth. Patterson should move right in to a starting position alongside Hunter and D. Rogers. With Milton and Arnett transferring out, depth was an issue as well, and lets face it, nobody was gameplanning how to stop Zack Rogers so having a few more dynamic options wasn't a bad idea. I believe the current number of OL on the team was 13 with only Dallas Thomas set to graduate after the '12 season, moving to essentially a 3-deep across the OL wasn't an affordable luxury given the number of positions that don't have a satisfactory 2-deep. Gotta make LB and OL a priority for the '13 class and maybe Jay Graham can reel in an elite RB prospect as well. At least there is some beef to anchor down the interior DL now and enough bodies to mix and match several different DE/OLB combinations. Here's to hoping Herman Lathers is 100% and it would be nice to have a health Greg King as well.

I think there may finally be some light at the end of the tunnel, although I'm not totally yet convinced that it's not an oncoming train. I'm setting my bar at 8 wins minimum, although 9-10wouldn't be totally unreasonable.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Are you seriously insinuating that WR wasn't a need? How many guys did we have there who don't plan on leaving after 2012?

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Patterson and two freshmen I would think but I'm fine with them taking as many as they need to keep him off the field.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I don't believe the Vols ever thought they'd wind up with 4 receivers of the caliber of those guys. They felt good about where they stood with Croom and Bowles, but knew they needed a burner like Howard to round off the group. And then you've worked on Patterson from day one but know it will be a struggle to get him and keep him. You get lucky and he becomes your 4th WR. Would you tell him or the other three to take a hike? I don't think so.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The wide receivers seem to be a fluke more than anything. Tend to agree with Jo.

I still don't worry about no o linemen because there is just too much raw talent out of what we have to not produce more. Would one or two have been nice, sure. But it's not worth making a huge deal over.

11. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Could have used a few more LB's. Maybe the should have already built a relationship with a couple of "back-up plans" like Bynum.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

OL takes up almost half the offense and we take zero, it could easily turn into a big deal with a few injuries or transfers.

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

People are banking on three guys who were decent to solid prospects. If it had been Tiny and Jackson that were redshirted it would be a little different.

14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

This is probably part of it, but when you look at the breakdown of the current WRs, four is not at all an unreasonable number.

WR scholarships on the 2012 roster (before adding this year's recruits)

SR: 1 (Z Rogers)
    JR: 3 (J Hunter, D Rogers, N Oliver)
    SO: 1 (V Dallas)

Maybe throw in Rajion Neal, who's still listed as a RB, but is it at all unreasonable to look at that and say that you'd like to bring in 3 freshmen and a JuCo? Especially given that you can't expect contributions from any of those juniors in 2013.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

We have 14 OL on scholarship, and carry 19 on the roster. That's about average I think.

One or two more would be nice, but 2013 and 2014 classes will address that need.

16. hatvol96

Look at it this way. Our offensive line was lousy in 2011. Now, we're counting on guys who the staff decided couldn't help that situation to have developed enough in one year to be major contributors. That's a bit tough to get excited about.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Patterson wasn't the only receiver they stayed after until signing day. The recruitment of Quinshad Davis and Demetrius Wilson indicates they were always after a fourth WR.

18. hatvol96

Of those 14, how many have proven they are capable of even being serviceable?

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Well, I think they were greatly hampered by a scheme that didn't suit their strengths. Stone and James go from blowing folks off the ball their freshman year to not being able to snap it the next? I suppose you could add some bodies for mythical competition but unless they are taught properly I'm not sure it matters.

I know nothing of Pittman and I'm not sure what to expect on that front.

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I agree with that. But it's a question of whether you could get -- and hang on -- to them. Bowles and Croom seemed solid, but Pig going beyond January and the relatively quiet recruitments of Davis and Patterson made three seem like a real possibility.

And once again I said the "caliber" of those guys. I don't think they were adding bodies at that position just because they could.