TN Governor Evolution Bill

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 3, 2012.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm generally in favor of people, or states, making their own decisions even if Unimane or the central government officials do not agree with them.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've never met a bleeding liberal who didn't say they taught their class from an unbiased viewpoint.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've never found those things offensive. Maybe if I was a born Southerner I would, but half of my family is French Canadian and the other are New England working class.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I said I don't object to the removal because it's a racist class. I can also not care if some people would like to take said racist class. Black students in college are not required to take american history classes, they can chose from a selection. White students are required to take ethnic studies classes. And it's not as though current american history books are devoid of black history.

I see a lot of examining things about modern history in your curriculum. I assume you come to conclusions as to the outcomes no? And you never answered as to if you told your students it was a racist law? are you naive enough to believe that your personal politics never filter down to the students?

Big gap between whitewashing history and inventing history.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

If evolution, geologic time, and climate change are biased, I teach my classes as biased as hell. I'm willing to take on all comers as well as far as challengers in my class-- but not during class time unless we've gotten through the material.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think they are at UT. At least, I never took one.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not referring to you.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they are required at most state universities.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Commie atheist. All makes sense now. Do you kick puppies in your free time?

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So, should no class be taught because of biases of the teacher? And what is invented in that listing of historical topics? Which of those things did not happen. The accusation of "inventing history" is usually thrown about by those upset the traditional interpretations of white-focused, apologetic history that now has to include those non-whites as contributors to history. Terrible thing.

As far as the Arizona law, I don't teach there and the subject has never come up in my class. If Tennessee were to ban Ethnic Studies classes, then yes, I would consider it racist. However, a good teacher generally refrains from telling students how to think. In fact, I play Devil's Advocate in my class more often than anything else.

11. Unimane

1. The law is clearly racist.

2. The law is subjectively applied (i.e. only to Hispanic groups)

3. The law denies the right of a specific group to access information of their own history in an educational setting

4. It denies local governments and school districts to create their own programs with educational value and interest to its student base

5. It's a decision by a majority group trying to dictate the way a minority group thinks because they don't like dissent to their preferred interpretations of history

It's a clear example of the time in which the central government should get involved, when the majority is infringing upon others.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

One of my World History classes was taught by a professor out of the African Studies department. That was interesting, in that I learned a good deal about the African kingdom of Mali and other African interests of his than I had been exposed to before.

He also told a good story about how when he was at Auburn, he went to a football game against Georgia. When Herschel Walker was running, Auburn fans would yell, "get that n****r!" and the like. When the black Auburn running back was running, it'd be "that a boy! Good job! Way to man up!" It was as if Auburn black players were "good n****rs" and Georgia ones were "bad." He was speaking before class about how racism persists at more than just the fringe of society, even though it is no longer acceptable in the mainstream. This was around the time of the black face incident with that frat's halloween party.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the second institutional racism is brought up as a fact is when bias turns to agenda though i doubt you would see it that way and that is the problem. once again i have no problem with bias as long as it's kept out of the classroom.

I'm sure you think you are unbiased. The real question is if you are. The fact you consider said law racist speaks volumes.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is okay for the state to infringe on people's liberty, as long as it isn't the State.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The biggest problem I have seen with the gender/race/sexuality studies centered courses at the college level is that is selectively borrows from other disciplines (sociology, anthropology, political science, history, economics) when it is convenient and basically ignores any inconvenient truths. Ethnicity is actually interesting as a phenomenon but people can get caught up too quickly in politicizing whatever the discussion is.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how it denying them access to their history? are they completely retarded? Cal had no class on municipal bonds, yet somehow i've learned about it.

17. Unimane

Yes, it speaks to my common sense that denying people access to their history is blatantly racist. It speaks volumes that you feel your right to live a world in which white people did no wrong is more important than people having access to their past and information, too.

Also, despite the fact that institutional racism isn't brought up in my class, doesn't mean that it isn't a fact. It's a foolish idea to think that it doesn't exist.

I don't care if I'm unbiased, either. It's not important. It's only important if I require them to think like me for their grade.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  18. Unimane

Is there a law against you learning this in school?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you really like to invent things i said don't you? how is it denying anyone access to their history? by this theory there should be a class titled "droski's family history" taught at any university i attend. huge gap between saying white people have never done anything wrong in history and white people are ruining minorities lives today. and i think it's pretty racist that you seem to think that the only important things black people have accomplished are things that white people did to them.

so you never mention the concept of institutional racism? I call bs.

you require them to think like yourself. and that is the problem.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there would be if i was teaching theory as fact and it was discriminitory. so by this theory i assume you have no problem teaching creationism at school?