TN OC Hire

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Nov 29, 2018.

1. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I think Briles goes to Bama.

Savage Orange likes this.
  2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I didn't like the hire initially, but he hired a couple good coordinators, and I thought maybe he could bail himself out by surrounding himself with high-quality people.

Actually think a lot of people could bail themselves out by surrounding themselves with high-quality people, but the problem is that most guys who aren't great coaches in their own right (1) think they're great and don't understand their deficiencies, and (2) have trouble getting talented people to work for them.

Dabo has been the exception to both (1) and (2). Butch was the Platonic form of both (1) and (2).

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

He put together a pretty legit staff though.

Wilcox, as with others, excited me.

Chaney, Baggett, Hiestand, Later Pittman and Jay Graham.

He had a good staff. The recruiting wasn't good (especially at OL and on D) and the Sunseri hire sank his dumbass. If a guy hasn't been a coordinator for almost 20 years, there is a damned good reason for it.

4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Worked wonders for Fulmer...

5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Until Clawson.

If Cutcliffe had stayed at UT the second go-around, Fulmer would still be here.

6. Savage Orange

Losing Garner and Trooper (for better or worse...) didn’t help. Once the recruiting aces were gone the talent level fell off precipitously.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Are you punishing the son for the sins of the father?

Dave Clawson may be a good football guy today (I'm not sure; he's on his way to maybe making Wake a .500 program.) But his time here was an unmitigated disaster. Blame Fulmer for part of it if you want--he certainly chose him--but the Clawfense was Dave's, and when it sucked, he blamed the players for not being smart enough to run it. He did a terrible job here.

8. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Briles legitimately has a string of issues with recruiting violations and is on a lawsuit saying, at best, "go to parties and get laid by some slots" and at worst could be spun as condoning daterape or pimping out coeds.

This isn't my personal opinion, but more so the opinion of the media when Briles went to Houston.

awebb7 likes this.
  9. cotton

Cut still figured out a way to put up points. I'm not sure where to dig it up, but I remember somebody doing an analysis of ppg with Cut's first stint here (~30,) his second stint here (~30,) and the time in between (~24.) I'm sure talent levels fluctuated, but the formula was add Cut, score points, win games.

10. cotton

I really don't know that much about it. If the guy is a pimp, then I've got the same issues with him as Freeze. I wouldn't discount him because of guilt by association, though.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I believe he was a coach at Baylor during that time. Innocent or not, I am just not sure UT at this point in time can afford to bring him on.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Trooper was addition by subtraction.

13. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Flight from Houston to Knoxville is in the air per Twitter. LOL

14. Savage Orange

Well, we can scratch Briles too then... the flight info thing is the kiss of death...

15. Savage Orange

Dude could recruit but shit... what a pain in the ass. Obama shunning him on the chest bump was gold!

16. cotton

Arian Foster, AKA Bobby Feeno, for OC.

17. Savage Orange

If he can teach the guys to speak pterodactyl I’m ok with it...

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's a genuine dumbass

19. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

F that. I’m not going to pretend that he was in the middle of that shit tornado and knew nothing.

DC Vol and lylsmorr like this.
  20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Welcome aboard Southwest Airlines Mr...Terry Dactyl? We hope you have a great flight