Today I learned

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Amazing how having even a modicum of awareness can actually round out a point of view. Next time, take the time to actually get some info before you make your first dumbass post. At least the board will only have to skip over one post instead of two.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I wouldn't Google that. I mean figuring out how much horsepower a tractor model has or gathering football statistics or a looking for video on how to fix your refrigerator, those are worth a Google. Why a celebrity is just super rich over super duper rich doesn't really do it for me.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I really don’t care but here’s 2 post and 3 paragraphs about (insert subject here).

InVolNerable likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I actually googled asking how big her forehead is and read comments for about 20 minutes but didn’t look at net worth

InVolNerable likes this.
  5. InVolNerable

I can see that. I just enjoy seeing how they got to where they got. Some have way better stories than others, and Rihanna's is pretty [uck fay]ing cool.

So is Kanye's, but in much more of a train wreck type of guilty entertainment.

But you also don't go around shitting all-over threads with uniformed positions and the conversational ability of someone halfway through a "Debate 101" course for the 9th time after 8 WF's.

dknash likes this.
  6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

*drivel

Imagine going through all this trouble to insult someone’s intelligence while simultaneously overstepping the limitations of your own vocabulary.

I’ll circle back on the rest later.

7. InVolNerable

Here's the thing - I can admit when I'm wrong. Even though I could very easily double down and say that I completely meant to use that word. I just imagine you drooling all over yourself and your keyboard like a fatuous neanderthal for every one of your posts. And it would absolutely hold merit.

But I won't do that explicitly (twice). I was definitely in a hurry and used the wrong word. More mad at myself for falling for the old never argue with an imbecile - they'll drag you down to their level and destroy you with experience though.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Him misspelling a word doesn’t make you any less of a [uck fay]ing moron. Just FYI.

InVolNerable likes this.
  10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It's an interesting topic. We're seeing folks touted as geniuses, and in this connected digital age it is easy to amass a large following providing reinforcement. Some of these guys buy into it. And maybe they are exceptional in specific areas, but they gradually start believing they are experts on a myriad of topics. Ye and Elon are prime examples.

I'm guilty of this in that I've said Elon is a genius. And I do believe he is brilliant in certain areas. However, he has embarrassed himself a few times by pushing opinions in areas he has no/little expertise (virology, geopolitics, etc.). While these are only his opinions, they get significant exposure due to what we and he have constructed him to be.

Ye has mental health issues so it's a different situation, but he has clearly bought into the genius tag. It is our collective feeding of these labels which drive the narcissism, in my opinion.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Kanye pretty much went off the rails when his mom died and has been a runaway train ever since.

InVolNerable likes this.
  13. InVolNerable

Yep. I saw that mentioned in a Twitter thread one time and looked into it. She moved to LA to be Kanye's manager, and she passed away from plastic surgery complications which she had received because she thought it'd help her fit in with the Hollywood crowd better. And Kanye apparently blames himself for it.

Doesn't excuse his behavior at all, but does give a better birds eye of the situation. I'd be an absolute mess if that happened to me too; just hope I'd be able to channel it a little better.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If y'all still have your momma, be glad.

IP, VolDad and Indy like this.
  15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A couple things here.:

1. So you were aware that the only reason she became the wealthiest musician in the world was because Kanye lost a bunch of wealth? And you felt that was worth bragging about? She lost money, but another guy lost a lot more, so let’s celebrate? I mean, yeah, a woman as wealthiest musician is cool, especially if this is the first time, but if she was $300m richer last time we talked about this, I’m not really sure what we are celebrating. Which makes me think that when you originally posted it, you didn’t realize she only bumped up because Kanye bumped down, making it even funnier that you then insulted my intelligence for not knowing the Kanye stuff without looking it up.

2. What in the hell could it possibly say about my intelligence that I didn’t know Kanye took a huge hit to his net worth? “Please be somewhat knowledgeable about Kanye West’s net worth.” The [uck fay]? And beyond that, when I searched, google still said $2 Billion at the very top. Are you also requiring a secondary source to confirm the first, with regards to Mr. West’s wealth? Just a weird expectation on every front.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol, don’t worry, Dooz will do it for you.

I admit when I’m wrong all the time. I also don’t make a habit of commenting on the intelligence of people I don’t know on a message board while simultaneously trying to use words I don’t actually know. Not a good look.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

“Misspelling.” Adorable. Never change, Dooz.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think it depends what you mean by genius. Is it a general label or something more specific?Musically, he had a run as good as almost anyone. Does that make him a genius in that regard? I think you could make a case for it. Not sure how far that takes him outside of music.

19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I think genius is thrown around way too freely. And, again, I've been guilty. I believe it should be reserved for the truly exceptional, significantly above one's peers. I suppose one could make an argument for Ye, but he's well below folks like Debussy, Beethoven, Einstein, Tesla, etc.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Do you know anyone you’d consider a genius? I’ve got 2. Both former professors and now “friends” to whatever extent that’s possible. One probably a little bit more so (a genius) than the other, but only because I know he’s got it across multiple disciplines. He’s at the top of his field but could have been at the top of other fields as well.

The other guy is at the top of his field, as well though. And admittedly, I just don’t know as much about him and his background. He’s quite a bit older.