Both Transfer Portal Threads Merged

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 29, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'll give it a B+. Not necessarily the best available, but dudes a lot of relevant teams wanted and at positions of need.

chavisut and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And I think that is what the portal will eventually become for all the big teams. You have a specific need, and you go get a guy no matter their stars that you think will plug in nicely. You recruit the 5* and get the 4* that turned out to be a lot better from the portal.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’d be very careful with character on the portal too. Especially with how heuple seems to building the team.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

we shall see. Filled some needs. Hard to get good players to come in and potentially sit. Addressed OL, TE, WR, CB, DL and LB with players with a lot of game experience

chavisut and TDVol1989 like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can't help but notice academics were discussed by at least 2 of the 3 transfers I have read about in a positive way, i.e. they already had finished undergrad and were looking to knock out a master's. These are serious people not just singularly focused on getting to the league.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Team maturity is a huge X factor.

7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Higher rated players tend to be mercenaries. We got really lucky with Bruiser McCoy. I'm very happy with them being selective.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This. He is not just grabbing guys to fill up his roster with talent. He wants guys that will help with the team and plug holes. The transfer portal is not a good way to build a roster each year. It's filled with guys that are leaving because they think their team sucks or want more playing time. Those guys are not usually good pickups. You want to find the guys looking to play in a different system or conference to help better themselves for the next level.

10SEvols and chavisut like this.
  9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

We lost one guy that would have been on the two deep next year and almost everyone we added will start or get PT.

10. Ssmiff

I was just looking at what we got and what went out. Players went to Indiana, Cal, Louisville, WKU, Wake. nC Central, Maryland and USF.
    Also didn’t realize Pili is 6’3 235. And Lotty Dotty, as Kesling will call him, is 6’2. We will also have 2 6’5 Wrs and Thornton has speed Bru doesn’t. Throw it up Milton. All day.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Heupel's philosophy is to use the portal as a patch, not a permanent fix.

chavisut, Memtownvol and zehr27 like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The offense won't look the same, it may look like artillery strikes.

13. Ssmiff

Rumors we got a cb named Igbinosum from Ole Miss.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cool name, is that Nigerian?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

16. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Kesling does not approve

warhammer and Memtownvol like this.
  17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

David Igbyson with the interception!

18. Ssmiff

with Nico Imalova and Judie-Daddy already added, Ig could be our hope for retirement.

19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Nah, I think he's part of the Igbinosums from Whitwell

emainvol and SetVol13 like this.
  20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

A-Smith likes this.