Both Transfer Portal Threads Merged

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 29, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is more complicated than that sometimes. You can successfully transfer easily but be 2 years in and still 3 to go. In good standing but treading water in terms of finishing the requirements of the school.

E.g., most universities REQUIRE a certain number of hours in the major be completed AT that school to be eligible to graduate. So even if everything transfers, you may need more hours or to retake passed classes to become eligible. And that is pretty hard coded because you don't want to give a UT degree to someone who only went one semester there.

Transferring once per a degree is not hard to navigate, but the guys going 3 times either better be done with a degree or they are getting on an academic hamster wheel.

warhammer and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

But I guess that is how these dudes end up with "college studies" degrees.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Imo it may be easier to get in as a transfer than freshman. Don’t think my middle son would have gotten into UT freshman year with a 2.75 and 23 ACT but he was admitted as a transfer after writing a paragraph as to why he wanted to go to UT.

justingroves likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is, but it is structural as to why. When folks wash out it creates room in a class. Somebody got in and flopped, so there was room for your son to come in and thrive. It is that first year that gets so many to mess up.

5. Ssmiff

yeah no telling how many freshmen don’t come back after fall semester and yr 1. I was in a pledge class and remember in January looking around and 4 didn’t make it back. Kids get into stuff they haven’t before with freedoms and more peer pressure and many can’t handle it.
    I saw my son for his 20th yesterday. I kinda wish he had a college experience, but he’s not a drinker or smoker or scholar so selling for Verizon has been good for him and he’s learning a ton about business and people.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

He can always go to school later, if he wants. Older folks with real world experience kill it in college.

thagodfather likes this.
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I had one year of real world experience and it made a big difference in how I behaved. I treated class like a job, started at 8 and ended by 4:30 most every day. I never got overwhelmed

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

7 in the portal down in Gainesville.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

And AR has declared to the draft and Kitna has been charged with sex crimes, so they are going through some things down there.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Completely forgot about the caveat for needing to have completed a certain number at the school. That certainly puts a link in getting them graduated.

12. Ssmiff

The numbers leaving Florida, Aggies, oregon and others are crazy.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is going to put a premium on taking care of guys rather than just getting them in and holding them hostage.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I want to make fun of Florida and to a lesser extent aTm here, but then I rember how Florida has seemed to fall in a pile of s*** and wind up smelling like a rose time and time again.

Tar Volon, Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

True. But our relative good standing right now might literally make the difference. It makes it that much harder.

warhammer likes this.
  16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I had a dinner meeting with the College of Engineering reps not too long ago. They indicated that they (Engineering) were focusing on retention vs washout. More structured resources on student tutoring/help than when I was there. Similar to academic services provided to athletes.

When I was there (all be it, a long time ago), we got the "look to your right, look to your left. 2 of you 3 students will not be here" speech. There was no structured "help". It was a sink or swim, next one up attitude.

Of course it did not cost a life time of debt to get a degree and I am sure the dynamics of getting and retaining students is different.

There was a big difference in my approach to my 1st quarter right out of high school and my return after military. Like others said, I treated it like a job. I was not afraid to challenge "advisors" and profs., reduce my course load to maintain full time status, yet be able work and take care of family or to ask for help.

17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

The portal will reward programs on the rise with a good culture and severely punish programs with a culture problem and/or disappointing season.

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Florida and aTm both on our schedule next year, very much hoping they don’t fall into a bunch of transfers that turn them from mediocre into great.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Now that we know that good wins don't really matter, I hope they're as bad as humanly possible.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Apparently the best thing is for them to be just good enough so we can lose closely to them