Trayvon Martin Shooting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

I suppose I can be racist at times. But this is bullshit. And the guys on VN posting about this are the biggest POS hillbilly backwards racists I've ever seen.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I agree with this. It seems to me that Z provoked the confrontation by not following those 911 directives. If I were being followed and then approached by a guy like Z, I would feel like I would need to defend myself. Based on what I know, a self defense case could rationally be made for Trayvon's supposed actions as well.

3. JayVols

They don't have a [uck fay]ing clue about the game of football. It's impossible to even remotely believe they can possibly comprehend a complex situation such as this. Not knocking you Bruno in any way (I'm a fan of your work that you've put in trying to shed the light of truth in re to how bad Dooley sucks over on VN), but anyone that expected intellegent thoughts/discourse by those idiots is either an eternal optimist or dumb as shit. Hey, I just described every Dooley apologist on toos with those two choices with the second option being the runaway winner.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I heard the same at my CC course.

There's a specific TN or federal statute (can't recall it) that says you can't instigate or invite a confrontation, and then use deadly force. Meaning, if you challenge someone into an altercation, you can't then claim a right of self-defense. If something is similarly in place in FL, I don't know how you could successfully argue that following him - especially when he admitted as much, and was told not to do so - wasn't inviting a confrontation.

And that Z was armed, which the rules of Neighborhood Watch specifically prohibit, seems to indicate that he was not only beyond whatever bounds (however informal or unimportant their rules may be, from a legal sense) it required, but was acting as a vigilante, instead. If this guy wasn't a member of Neighborhood Watch and this situation unfolded, where he was following a guy after being told not to do so, and it lead to a fatal shooting, you'd think he'd have to have some infallibly tangible proof as to why he used deadly force, or he'd be in a cell somewhere. Wouldn't he?

Here's an excellent overview of TN's deadly force laws, which I presume are closely aligned with FL's as they share recoproctiy, from a Nashville-based law firm: Nashville Criminal Lawyers Explain Self Defense in Tennessee: When can I use Deadly Force for Protection?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is murder, plain and simple. Whether it is racially motivated or not is a whole other matter that probably shouldn't legally matter in a perfect world.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. Hispanic *IS* white.

2. being 51 % "non-white" does not mean it is a lie to say the neighborhood is "mostly white," given that the largest group in the neighborhood is white, and virtually half of the neighborhood is white.

3. Suggesting that being on 5 days' suspension makes him a menacing individual is bullshit.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

- Jesse Jackson

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

If Zimmerman confronted Trayvon because he was a young black man in a hoodie, that is racist.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This seems like a case of a wannabe cop getting his ass kicked then shooting someone once he initiated a confrontation. I don't think race really matters.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just sayin', if he only approached him because he "looked suspicious" by being a young black man-- that is racist.

12. JayVols

Not sure about FL law, but even these circumstances do NOT justify the use of deadly force. Z followed against 911 directives and initiated the confrontation (not the fight just the encounter). Read TD's link on when one can and can't use deadly force. It's a great short read that CLEARLY states that the individual that instigates the confrontation is NOT authorized to use deadly force.

13. MacReady

MacReady New Member

This is like a real life Observe and Report.

14. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I completely agree. He essentially baited Trayvon into a fight and then shot out of "self defense". You can see how that creates a dangerous precedent.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

That seems to be my assessment too.

16. Fleetwood1104

Fleetwood1104 New Member

what an absolute piece of shit this guy is. i haven't read a lot about this story, actually kind of trying to avoid it, but as it seems to what little i have seen and read, none of us know any true intentions involved in this at all but to make the assumption that it's a hate crime just because of two races being involved seems absolute horse shit, which to me once jesse jackson and al sharpton get involved that's the direction they're going to try to steer the country into believing

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think this guy would find anyone suspicious. He's clearly a wackjob. I'm in line with Tenn D's thinking. This guy started following the kid, the kid turned around and basically asked why the hell he was following him, they got into a physical argument, guy killed kid. Sounds like manslaughter at least to me. I'm all for people protecting their property, but I don't see justified force here.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

True, but how the hell are you going to prove he followed him because he was black? I doubt he's going to admit he followed him due to skin color.

Too many people get caught up in it being a racial issue that they tend to overlook the fact a wackjob shot someone just because he was in a neighborhood (I'm not saying you IP, just people in general)

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he's also been called white repeatably even though he's hispanic. the real issue is why the guy wasn't arrested. hell i bet there's a decent chance i'd be arrested at least temporarily if I killed a black kid who was breaking into my house, let alone walking down the street.

20. Fleetwood1104

Fleetwood1104 New Member

something else i've noticed is a lot of people, mostly local radio stations and news, keep pointing out the fact of Z calling 911 so many times over i'm not sure how long a time frame as evidence of the guy being crazy, i don't necessarily see this as evidence of being a whack job, a tad over vigilant maybe and i've read nothing as to how many of said calls were legitimate and how many were bogus. the closest i found was this...

so maybe being over vigilant was somewhat warranted. now i'm not saying the shooting and all the other mess is reasonable, i'm just talking about how big a deal some seem to be making over the amount of 911 calls