POLITICS Trump & China

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I saw an interview with Steve Bannon shortly after he had left the White House, and which he laid out clear, direct and convincing reasons (to me, YMMV) why China was the “real” focus of the Trump Admin, as they represent the most important, urgent and potentially dangerous threat to the US. Given all that was going on at the time, including even his recent decision to leave the Administration, his comments on China struck me as tellingly important, and not a point of pure speculation on his part.

So, I’ve tried to pay better attention to Trump’s actions on China, as they’ve unfolded. Now, about a year since that interview, I think that Bannon was being truthful as to how Trump perceives - and intends to combat and thwart - the looming threat from China.

So, this is a catch all for China, for any who’d like to discuss it.

We can start with this:
    This is, admittedly, a mixture of fact and blustering opinion, on behalf of a publication that is notoriously Trump-positive.

And this, on China’s goals of “world dominance”
    On Trump’s ultimate goal:
    *Footnote: For anyone who actually read the linked article, you’ll note that I left the most pro-Trump sections of the article out and unquoted, in an intentional and good faith effort to not risk our ability to have an honest and neutral discussion on the matter.

Link: https://nypost.com/2018/10/06/trump...um=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

How's the trade deficit going?

3. Tenacious D

Still terrible, last I looked. It’s a sizeable hole, but luckily, one we are now addressing.

You’re welcome.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Look closer. The trade deficit has increased. So has the budget deficit. Next recession, which is coming, it is going to be extra hard to pull out of the ditch.

5. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I agree. And it is somewhat frightening.
    But to be fair, Trump is addressing it. I hope its productive, but its hard to trust Trump imo.

6. Tenacious D

First, tariffs only have their full teeth when you systemically cut off any secondary access to the US market...this helps now.

By signing trade deals which can be cancelled by the US if the trading partner signs a secondary free trade agreement (FTA) to another non-member entity (NME) (read: China) such as Trump just won in the USMCA deal that replaces NAFTA - and which it’s clear that he will similarly require, going forward - it prevents China’s means to either fortify or retreat from their current position by making secondary deals with US allies.

Just won: Canada & Mexico
    Next to win: EU, Japan, UK, etc.

China well knows exactly who will win when the world is forced to choose between them and the US.

I know it.
    You know it.
    Everyone knows it.

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/95e80ae4-c9a2-11e8-b276-b9069bde0956

7. Tenacious D

It’s risen because China cancelled a $1B order for soybeans, in retaliation of Trump’s tariffs.

A recession is always coming, and yes, it will be hard to pull out of it. But the best means to protect us from it, and to greatly mitigate the resulting fallout, is to do exactly what Trump is now doing in seeking and signing these new trade deals.

And there are rumblings that the same team that worked on USMCA has now moved on to the EU, and Japan.

Given these rumors, it’s little wonder that China’s sudden interest in their “belt and road” project, where they are offering to invest billions of dollars into Latin America infrastructure and economy, is anything but an accident.

It’s rapidly becoming their only available means to gain a foothold beyond their borders, and they are keenly (painfully?) aware of this fact.

8. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I've been in the workforce for a while now and have weathered both good times and bad. If we're headed for another downturn, just a good chance to load up on cheap real estate IMO (looking forward to a cheap beachfront condo or lake house this time around).

I like what he's doing on this front so far, we'll see how it plays out.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We have a supplier from China that just recently visited us. They are building new manufacturing plants in Vietnam and Thailand and exporting from there. I would assume that means the tariffs are costing China jobs if these companies are moving or adding new plants outside of China. That seems like it would take a toll as well.

Side note, they brought us Moon Cake which I have never had before. I didn't love the taste of it but it is a really interesting desert. I almost didn't want to take a bite of it because it looked so neat.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I know this isn’t your strength, but do have any idea why? If your answer is tariffs or tax cuts, don’t bother responding.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I don't expect he will answer.

12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think I know but you’ll have to give us your answer later. Bob Barker comes to my mind.

A-Smith likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You'll say capital inflow. That only highlights the misleading rhetoric concerning the trade deficit. Can't talk about how horrible it is and simultaneously dismiss it as a positive indicator. Or, well, I guess you can. This being a post-fact climate.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't be a parrot-monkey.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Not sure at all what that is. Seems like a compliment.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've never heard this before. Seriously, what does it mean?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've used it on here before.

https://goo.gl/images/kynYrC

That's a parrot-monkey. The dude that hangs on Jabba the Hutt, just laughing and being part of the entourage.

18. Tenacious D

FBI Director Wray on China:
    Simply stated:
    Link: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-di...-priority-in-u-s-counterintelligence-mission/

19. Tenacious D

You’re trying to hijack the thread by singularly focusing on the fact that Trump has yet to remedy the trade deficit with China, and which is decades-long in the making, and despite the fact that no other POTUS seemed willing to even be concerned about, much less to try correct.

Because you stupidly and instinctively hate Trump, and anything he does, because you’re “smarter” than everyone else, and it’s important that they know that, on any issue, and at every turn.

And everyone else is a hypocrite, except you.

And everyone else selects politically convenient arguments, except you.

And no one else sees the world with either clarity and foresight, except you.

You, IP, are the lone example of purity and thought, in a sea of the deplorably ignorant, racist, sexist and unwashed masses.

And now, you’ve devolved into semantics and name-calling.

So, just to speed this up, and get back on track:

1. The trade deficit with China remains terrible.

2. Trump has not yet corrected it. He’s working on it, but it isn’t yet done. That makes him terrible.

3. In fact, it’s actually gotten worse since the tariffs began. Trump is dumb-dumb.

4. IP is really, really smart you guys. Like you don’t even know. You can ask him about the Constitution, religion, waging war, feminism, hatching turkeys, China, the economy - and he’ll be all like, “Blah, blah, blah...blah, blah, blah....and it’ll be the EXACT right answer.” Because he alone is super-duper smart, and we all need to hear his super-duper smart thoughts on everything. Because he’s definitely not the living embodiment of a rampaging narcissist.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Again, your premise is "trade deficits are bad." That's not necessarily true. I understand that it is important to you. I can appreciate wanting manufacturing here.

Anything that was said about recessions and deficits in 2009 still ought to be true now. The government was even shutdown over deficits smaller than this one.

Lash out at me, but it is a statement of facts.