POLITICS Trump Ending Birthright Citizenship?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Nov 1, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was never my idea of a great plan, but it did save a lot of lives. Maybe one day people will accept that healthcare is best met as a societal good like the interstate system or the military.

2. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Yeah. I mean 6 FBI background investigations, two Senate subcommittee hearings, and an additional subcommittee investigation equals no one can be investigated for anything.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then how was he ruined? You should be replying to Gahlee, and not me.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I agree, health care would be fantastic, but not that bullshit that was forced down people's throats.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

To be fair, it was constantly undermined and sabotaged, first at the state level and then now Trump has all but doomed it to fail. Whatever savings could have occurred never got a chance to develop.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

The issues as I saw them, if it wasn't repealed, it was about to cost millions of taxpayers a lot of money. A Cadillac plan was any plan over 25K, which was most employer plans. I was going to be taxed on it as if it was income. Second problem I had was, the bronze plan, which was the only affordable option for most people that weren't getting it free, did not cover anything, it was just a plan so you didn't get the penalty. Third, the cost of insurance just kept going up, opposite of what he kept saying, that since everyone would have insurance, it would go down.

NYY likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I had the bronze plan for a few years. It covered a great deal, all the plans did. It had a high deductible though and was there to prevent medical bankruptcy. Which was the entire point of the bill in the first place.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You would be happy if we went to a single payer plan, and that's what everyone got?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wouldn't be content, but I think that would be a good compromise for now.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Make no mistake, I don't want to force anything on anybody. I get it, many don't want universal healthcare. But most do agree that people should get the care they need and shouldn't be millions in debt if they get sick. There must be a middle ground.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Ouch, I'd absolutely hate that. I think the next thing would be insurance to cover the ridiculous deductibles

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

The whole issue IS the insurance companies. That's the root of it. That was the flaw with Obamacare. They should have never been included in the solution. We're paying for layers of middlemen who have nothing to do with the care.

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I also worry about it leading to making crazy stuff illegal, starting with smoking and drinking, then down the road anything the insurance companies deem unsafe. Like new york and their soda laws.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Think about how much money it must cost to try and avoid covering something.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I think they're the devil, but when hospitals charge 8 coconuts for a Tylenol or 5 for a bandage, some people would say they contribute too

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

But they do that in response to the insurance companies insisting on only paying a certain percentage of whatever the hospital charges... so the hospital builds that cost in.

Indy likes this.
  17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I don’t want people to be millions in debt if they get sick. I also don’t want to pay for the care of men and women who drink 40 ounces of Mountain Dew every day and are 100+ pounds overweight.

That isn’t some right wing BS either. That’s reality.

kmf600 likes this.
  18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The Dems should hire you to write this plank of their platform. I’d support this.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Yes. This is exactly what many on here were saying, as it made us all chickens and then forced us into the fox house.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It won't happen as long as the pelosi generation has sway. They have no vision or coherent policy agenda. That's what made sanders popular: he actually imagined what his positions would translate to in policy. Right or wrong, it was some kind of action.