Trump is GOP Nominee

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Dec 10, 2015.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I've quintupled my salary in 4 years.

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Fine print: "Data restricted to women not actively trying to conceive".

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Maybe I'm the lone dipshit in the room - and ok if so - but I can never understand precisely what it is that we are arguing, or what point anyone on any "side" is trying to make, when it comes to these rather frequent discussions on income, the wage gap, distribution of wealth.

Can someone give me a heads up on what we're even debating here, what's the end game - when will we know that one side is "right" or "more right", than the other?

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I understand this. It makes sense.

But if we want to grow our economy and further increase our standard of living then I think that we would want to see growth through all sectors or at least the top 3 or 4 quintiles. So my question was originally aimed around why don't we see that. And it sounded like the answer was because the middle class wasn't competitive and their wages were too high. I know it wasn't the intent but it read as if to address the lack of growth we have to bring down their wages so I was just pointing out the oddity of that answer.

I think the intent was that we have to raise their value to equal or exceed their current inflated wages and they won't see growth until that happens.

5. Tenacious D

Racist.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

sure it's about those adds and subtracts. It's just a snapshot in time of the pricing at each of those levels. Again, can you think of any reason a level would move, in real dollars? Any level?

You probably can think of level movement for some, but certainly not at the bottom. Surely you know government policy or minimum wage hikes won't move a level anywhere.

7. TennTradition

I'm not sure I'm even in a side.

8. MWR

MWR Contributor

When you are in the middle of a "CHART DELUGE", don't be the lone dipshit, just roll with the flow.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I mean, there's no denying it now.

10. Tenacious D

Didn't say you were, and if not, you may be the lone exception.

Most of the time it feels like everyone starts at a preconceived and preferred conclusion (perhaps correctly, for all that I know), and is working backwards.

There has to be a position that is "most correct", but damned if we ever get to it.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The implied piece that our standard of living increasing should be a goal makes no sense to me. Our standard of living across the entire chart has increased massively, even if the real incomes have not. Much of that is just about cheapening technology, but it's happening either way.

Growth in our economy is tied more to keeping those labor prices internationally competitive than increasing those in real value terms.

I don't think those quintiles will ever increase in real dollars terms. Ever. Even if policy changes their gross value, inflation will destroy any real value created. It's the nature of those gigs and the value they provide. Easily replaced is simply easily replaced and that is the sole factor in value determination.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

around wages and relative income, the right side is that supply and demand dictate the entire outcome and that policy doesn't in any way impact either. The political arguments are just populist horsecrap to garner votes. The native American clown who has lied her way into becoming a MA senator sounds like a complete moron in calling all of the country's economic injustice a problem of the right. She's a moron, just as Trump is when he says we have to fix those same injustices.

13. TennTradition

Interesting points.

14. Tenacious D

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

meh, just pragmatic amateur economist stuff. It's why increasing minimum wage hasn't moved that bottom rung even one iota. That one rung is the entire argument against any minimum wage increase. Amazingly enough, we keep having to argue about it, even though it makes no difference whatsoever.

In the end, all it does is make all of those on fixed incomes poorer, and that's not on a relative basis. They absolutely and unequivocally get poorer until they are granted a pay raise via governmental decree. Sadly, the pols pushing this silliness get votes from both sides for doing it and nobody gains a whit. Pathetic.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

18. Tenacious D

Oh, wait, it was a Democrat.

But imagine the faux-outrage had it been Trump. Magical.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

This was my favorite Hank Johnson moment:

[video=youtube;v7XXVLKWd3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7XXVLKWd3Q[/video]

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that wasn't remotely an apology. He's a bigoted turd and he made excuses. The "corrosive" part of the "apology" was equally bigoted as the idiotic original comments.