Trump Jobs Boom: 298k New Jobs in February

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I understand market forces and that natural gas has really hurt coal.

I just know people in the industry and they're optimistic. They're working longer shifts, increasing production, and opening up new seams that they've been sitting on.

I don't know if it's a sign of what's to come or just blind optimism, but there is the signs of life.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm very happy jobs are expanding. It's good for individuals and the nation. Kudos to whoever is responsible, Trump included.

Here's some perspective:

Rep. Kevin Brady on May 2015 Jobs Report where 280,000 new jobs were created:

Rep. Kevin Brady on February 2017 Jobs Report where 298,000 jobs created:

Politics is politics. That's my only point.

Hope the jobs keep coming.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Not sure I see the point. Net jobs created is a very good measure. Obamas was wildly negative and people living off society grew faster. If trumps is similar, he should be blistered for it, even in a single month uptick in jobs, which are often seasonal.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If I were a single male with a functioning brain and any kind of ability to do construction work, I would move to middle Tennessee right now.

Painters are making $24 an hour

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have 1 out of 4 on those. Not good for me.

6. JayVols

Ok. Always happy to learn this type stuff.

7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Do I need to know somebody or can I just google something?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Obama's net jobs created was negative? Wildly so? Couldn't be.

http://www.truthfulpolitics.com/htt...-s-job-creation-by-president-political-party/

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What do you want to do?

10. JayVols

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Well I don't have much construction experience, just minor stuff I did at my last job, so it'd have to be entry level I guess. I was boom and scissor lift certified, and also overhead lift trained. I want to weld, but I don't have any training.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Good money in welding right now

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well think about it in common sense terms. The population grew from 2009-2016, and unemployment was cut in half from 2010 til Jan 2017.

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

We get told a lot of lies about the economy under Obama, and are supposed to believe a magic button was pushed with Trump. Look at that trend line. Trump is getting credit right now for accomplishing the status quo.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It was the slowest job recovery in American history after a recession. The simple fact that the population is that much higher is what makes it a bad comparison to Reagan or Clinton (i.e there are far more jobs today than then), yet his numbers still pale in comprison.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Compared to Obama's time, these job numbers are a flat line on unemployment. Similar numbers in the past were considered inadequate, but these are "great." and that is assuming Trump should get any credit at all. Essentially, Obama gets the blame of the recession that he kept from a depression (omg slow recovery!) that started before he was elected, and doesn't get credit for the growing economy he left behind. It's untenable. Only with political purpose could such an argument be advanced with a straight face.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

What policy kept it from being a depression? the major stabilizing measures had already been passed before he took office.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

please tell me what policy's Obama enacted which helped the economy and we aren't giving him credit for. The fed setting interest rates at zero and quantitative easing is what took us out of the recession and btw that's basically true for every president. What Obama did was be anti business enough for companies to think twice about hiring that extra guy. The economy's a train. Obama was the guy slowing it down. marx himself probably couldn't derail the us economy with interest rates at zero

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Weird, why didn't you share this opinion in this thread sooner?