Truth telling, Warfare, Ethics, and Butch

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hallowed_hill, Nov 5, 2014.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Been thinking through the ethics of truth telling recently, as we're going through Rahab and the Hebrew spies right now in the Bible study I lead. Last night Hyams was quite peeved at the Worley announcement and says he was lied to multiple times by UT administration. So was Butch (we'll just put this on him) morally wrong if he lied about Worley's injury status in order to deceive opponents? What if he didn't lie but told truths in a deceptive way? If you're a Christian, is this a sin? If you're not a Christian, was it unethical (and what is your ethical standard)? Or is deception/lying acceptable in this case?

I perfectly understand that this happens all the time. I'm just curious as to what y'all think about it. Also, I am not too interested in this becoming a debate about the nature of biblical authorship and revelation but am curious to hear how non-Christians develop their ethical system.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Much like war, in sports there are times when it is completely appropriate to tell bold face lies. Is it lying to run a play-action pass? You are attempting to deceive via actions what you are really doing. It is no different pre-game with the status of players, etc. As long as you are not keeping Worley from surgery just to prolong the ruse, it is OK.

Oh, and Jimmy Hyams needs to get off of his journalist high horse. His investigating for the last 15 years has been to call the AD and ask them the question and take it as Gospel. That is not doing journalistic work.

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Hippa

4. NorrisAlan

In this case, though, if you are hiding behind HIPPA you simply say "we cannot comment on players health". Butch was trotting the report out there that Worley was working out with the team and they were going to see if he could go Saturday knowing full well his labrum was torn and he wasn't getting back on the field again.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I might argue that running Worley out there for 7 games was morally wrong

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Hippa sorta

7. NorrisAlan

That could constitute as abuse. Of the fanbase.

8. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Now we get down the meat of it.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is Hyams being a jack ass. They knew it was serious on the way home from Oxford. People all around the program knew he was most likely done.

The sports media think that asking the SID a question constitutes reporting

10. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

The Vols will not be wearing black jerseys Saturday night...

I agree with Justin. Hyams is late in many cases to the party and when he's scooped, he's a whiner.

11. hallowed_hill

Legit LOL at this.

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

If I'm being completely honest here I would say that it doesn't bother me in the least for the media to get false or mixed reports from any agent of a football program. I hold the media in low regard.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My favorite was Lane Kiffin will not be the head coach at Tennessee as they're preparing the media room to announce Lane Kiffin as head coach

14. NorrisAlan

What reporter in his right mind thinks the AD is going to tell you the truth? Thank God he doesn't cover politics.

"Senator, did you sleep with your secretary while smoking crack and short selling your wife's stocks?"

"Uhhmmm....no?"

"Thanks, Senator."

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

These media guys allegedly knew all the BS Doofus was up to behind the scenes and didn't feel the need to report it until after the fact. I'd ask them about that.

16. hallowed_hill

Also, please forgive me for the negative recruiting impact we'll see from even bringing this up.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

In the context of a recreational game, where it is customary to do so, there is nothing unethical about the lie. The only things it effects are to the sport itself, and it is even referred to as "gamesmanship." The same way that bluffing isn't unethical, neither is this.

Now, retaining Marlin Lane on the team is unethical. A track coach running off students in the middle of the semester who did nothing wrong is unethical.

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It's worth noting that while The Bible seems to view lying negatively (Satan is the Father of Lies), the most commonly-cited prohibition isn't against lying per se but is against lying in a particular legal context ("bear false witness against thy neighbor")

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Lane wasn't part of the team until he was cleared.

20. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

What is the point of trying to trick teams into preparing for Worley? Any team not coached by Botch and company will not be fooled.