Two 3 tech defense (?) defense, discussion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Correct me if I have it wrong, NYY. You mentioned you hated it and I wanted to hear more. I have a very basic understanding of technique, and what the numbers are referring-- zero is across from the center, and then it numbers out from there with 1 being the inside shoulder of the guard, straight ahead 2, outside shoulder 3, then on to the tackle in a similar fashion.

If that's not accurate, let me know. I'm hear to listen and perhaps stimulate some more of that sweet sweet real football talk like we got in the offensive line discussion from ptclaus, Jay, and of course Oldvol.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Your number system is correct. 4i is inside shoulder of tackle, 4 is head up, 5 outside. 7 inside TE, 8 is head up & 9 is outside.

2 3 technique tackles makes the middle extremely soft. I'm a 4-4 guy. The pure 4-4 has 2 3 techs. However, my base was a 3 on strong side & a 1 on the weak side like a 4-3 would have. That puts your strong ILB playing A gap & weak ILB playing weak B. By having a 1 technique, you basically eliminate the possibility of a weak inside trap. In fact, It's not very smart to attack a 4-4 to the weak side. Numbers are in the D's favor, but I've always attacked a 4-3 on the weak side especially if they play with a single high safety & a strong safety. Better numbers on the weak side there.

3. JayVols

Oh, head up nose is a zero tech. Strong shoulder of center is strong shade and vice-versa.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There's not a set in stone numbering system but it mostly comes from Bear Bryant's fifty defense.

A double three in a long distance pass play is okay but can be trouble with stopping the run. It's easy to cross block play side and easily lets your center climb to the next level.

Wham blocking with an h/fullback can kill you in it too, since it easily lets the linemen get down field.

A 303 TNT front can be a [itch bay] for some offenses since it takes a lot of belly and midline plays away from them.

5. JayVols

The reason I played a 3 & 1 was to keep the centrr from easily getting up on the LB. Early in my coaching career, I did 2 3's, but I got smarter as I went along.

Back when we had leather helmets when I played, I was a center & ILB in a 4-4. Loved having a free release on an LB on offense. Hated getting a free release on me on D.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I thought the base in a 4-4 would be two 2 techs since that would mess with the offense more with more slant and blitz options.

7. JayVols

I'm sure some do that. Wasn't what I learned though.

I once knew a guy that actually tried to run a wide tackle 4-4 with 2 4 techs. Stupid.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah I always go with a 3-1 tech if they declare a strength.

I've combined a 4-3 and 4-4 together this year while playing an inverted cover two, but turns into cover four if they go spread.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My 4-4 basically plays like a wide tackle 6

10. JayVols

We try to run cover 4 out of an Okie front 3-4. If we had 2 actual safeties instead of 1 1/2, we'd do more than try.

11. JayVols

Interesting. I'd like to see that. I'm very visually oriented when it come to football. I need to see it to fully grasp it all.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This is a bit of a change being a 4-4 man I'm a cover 1 or country 3 man myself, but this has really increased our coverage and is a [itch bay] to attack in the run game.

13. JayVols

I played a base cover 3, but was rarely in that because I blitzed the hell out of people. Had at least one guy coming from somewhere. That usually put me in man/free coverage.

14. JayVols

I did run a coverage where I would play a Sky cover 3 when sending my weak OLB. If we got QB rollout weak. My free would sky to weak flats & my strong OLB would roll to middle. Was basically the same concept as a cover 3 out of a 50 front D.

Edit: The Spread wasn't really around when I did this. That could complicate things, but if we got quads, my go to check would be to call off the blitz & go man/free or check to a Cover 0 man with FS taking #2 on whatever was declared weak side be it based off wide side of the field or alignment of the backs.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

DE's play off-tackle with OLB's being force playing one yard back and four yards outside of EMLOS. It also gives him a great read with how the tighend plays the DE to determine the play. If the declare a strength we slide toward the strength giving us a 3-1 tech with our DTs.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  16. JayVols

Outside LBs playing that outside leverage makes me feel more secure than my mother's embrace.

17. JayVols

Interesting chat, but I'm old & need to get in bed before I turn into a pumpkin. Will definately continue later.