UGA Takeaways

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It's my opinion that we shouldn't have to pay a damn thing for Stoerner, because we were only in the position to need him because the refs literally forgot the rules of the game on the previous Arkansas possession.

A-Smith likes this.
  2. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

With all that said, I feel the D played well. They got literally no breaks go their way and ended up being victimized by an Offense that couldn't string together a popcorn necklace, much less a drive, and a lack of depth to compete with one of the most talented teams in the country.

I will say that I believe this team is on the right track, but we need a new OC like nobody's business.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I think he knows what big-boy football is. I have no idea if he knows how to get his team to play it.

I have a hard time finding the reasons for optimism that you do in a 4TD loss, in a game that was a 4TD game for 3 quarters, then a 2 TD game for a minute, then a 4TD game again. And I don't see the toughness and the good solid football that I expected the new staff to immediately bring to the program. It's frustrating, and also possibly beyond his control at this point. But we are looking at 0-8 (again) as a definite possibility, and there just isn't any way to polish a turd.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I keep seeing this, and I understand that there were some good things on that side of the ball. But overall, they gave up 441 yards of total offense and 251 rushing. That's not a great day.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

we had a lot of flukes go our way during the last couple years of the Butch era (most notably, the App St fumble/score, the UGA Hail Mary, the GT forced fumble that allowed us to stay in that game), but it's not like we didn't have any BS fluke losses in the Butch early stages--Pig fumbling out the end zone against Georgia, a totally unreliable kicker from Florida hitting a 50-yard game-winner after the play clock had expired.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

All fair.

Given what he’s got on this team, inherited from the last schlep, having the ball in the 2nd half with a chance to cut it to a 1 score game is extraordinary.

While it’s nowhere near where we want and need to be, by any means, it is at least promising as to our direction, even given the many and important limitations of this team, and his ability to possibly get it done.

Short of winning on Saturday, he wasn’t going to definitively prove that he’s a good coach, but with a lopsided and uncompetitive loss, he could have given substance to the fears that he may not be able to get it done.

He’s not done, and the matter is far from settled, as there are several games to see how they also play out, but to me, Saturday’s result was much more positive and better than many believed, myself included.

That’s my only point - it was much better than it could and probably should have been.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

When you are playing the #2 team in the country, who has become BAMA-Lite, and in their building - with our many issues, including a MLB who missed a dozen or so tackles, and a SS who routinely gave up on plays...that makes for a terrible day.

But given the talent and position of each team, we should have been down by 21+ at half, and easily. That we weren’t, but actually threatened to make a game of it in the 2nd half, is a tangible mark of improvement. The hole remains undoubtedly deep, but climbing a few inches out is infinitely more preferred than our digging down another 10’, and which is what many believed that we would and should have done.

Just my $.02

8. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Here's how I see it:

Taking out that 31-yard scoop n' score, the D gave up 295 yards through 3 quarters on 58 plays, or 5.08ypp. That's not great, but it's not at all atrocious considering the state of the Defense that Pruitt & Co took over. Last year, LSU had the #12 defense in the country and gave up 5.07ypp on the year, including cupcakes. The 251, taking out the scoop n' score, was 220 rushing. Okay, not a great day but that was on 49 runs or 4.48ypc. That's not great but that's also one of the best running games in college football behind one of the best OLs. Again, perspective.

In the 4th, the depth issues really showed. UGA simply rolled out their depth against ours and clearly won. Our DL showed it can compete with one of the best OLs in the country and generate pressure without needing to bring 7/8 players in a blitz. This is massive improvement over the first of the year.

I'm not happy that UT suffered a 7:39 drive but I certainly understand that you just don't shit out quality depth on the DL. That takes a long time to build and that is where UT's issues are most glaring. I'm not happy about conceding that drive as it was 24-12 at that point and that effectively ate up half the 4th and ended up putting the game out of reach. UT desperately needed a stop and couldn't generate one. It wasn't until that drive, IMO, that UT really started getting manhandled.

Considering where we were when Pruitt took over and where we all thought we would be going into the 4th against UGA? [uck fay] it, I'll take it. I only wanted to see improvement and IMO I saw improvement.

justingroves and Savage Orange like this.
  9. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

The Auburn matchup is looking less and less like a sure loss, imo. If it’s a noon kick (which my obnoxious Auburn fan coworker is convinced is a death sentence for Auburn’s chances of winning) I give us at least a punchers chance of getting a dub. At the least, I really believe we’re going to see marked improvement in the offense. No real evidence to base that on... just a gut feeling. If the defense shows up and we can get any production at all out of JG and the line, it’s game on. We know what the RB’s can do, given a little help.

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

And say what you want, but it should have been 17-14 going into the 3rd Quarter. I'm not one to make paltry excuses but I agree with Justin here:

I've never in my life seen a player get blown up and concede a strip-sack and then pick it up and advance it for a TD. It's unreal. UGA put the ball on the ground 5 times and didn't just recover all 5, but they got 7 points off of it.

If we put the ball on the ground 5 times, we lose at least 3-4 of those.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Its on Kesling and has been since our Title

12. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Auburn looked really flat and uninspired against Southern Miss.

If UT's D plays like it did against UGA and Auburn plays like it did against Southern Miss, I think it's a toss-up.

I also don't think Vandy, Missouri or even USC is an auto-loss at this point. If our team incrementally improves and stays healthy, I think we have a puncher's chance in all 3 of those games.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree, but mizzou will be a real test of the secondary.

14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I'm hinging that based on the improvement on the DL to this point, anticipated improvement along the front-7 by that point and the eventual Dooleying of that offense.

Lock looked bad against UGA, worse than JG. Their only hope against UT is a run-game and I'm anticipating enough improvement on the DL to where this is a toss-up.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No, [ddiapos] has [uck fay]ed that offense up.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's been able to shut down the only thing Mizzou has going for it and it's been encouraged by the head coach. It's amazing, actually, how dumb a decision it is.

17. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I think our defense will be even better by the time we take on Mizzou.

18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yep, but we are worse.

FTR, I measure our success by our SEC record.

2008-2017
    Arkansas 10 year W-L SEC record: 32-48.
    VOLS 10 year W-L SEC record: 26-54.
    Vandy 10 year W-L SEC record: 22-58

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

Poppa T and Savage Orange like this.
  20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

No, 2018 Arkansas is one of the worst SEC teams this decade.

justingroves likes this.