UN Climate Change Report

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Aug 9, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I like electric cars, but the energy to charge the battery is still coming from coal.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

From what I have read and understand, though, a coal plant with electric cars is still cleaner than a coal plant (burning less coal, of course) and gasoline cars. And if we can bring other electric systems on line, such as nuclear and other carbon-zero sources (solar, etc), we will be even more in the black.

3. fl0at_

I'm for it, but I don't think we will adopt electric cars fast enough to do the other things.

And this is because electric requires a sacrifice on the individual.

How the power is generated requires no individual sacrifice. And is thus where we must start.

Too many people speak on the "range" of electric cars being too limited, because charging them back up isn't simple as hitting the next exit once the gas light comes on.

And these same people probably don't drive more than the daily range of the vehicle more than three times a year.

But their freedoms will not be infringed.

SetVol13 likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

The scale and movement can be disturbing to people. Interestingly, the same was said of light houses when they were new.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unfortunately you are exactly correct.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Apologize to our kids for bringing them into this mess, grab some popcorn, and watch the train wreck.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It’s definitely a little weird to drive through that huge wind farm in Indiana when you are on 65

CardinalVol likes this.
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've never really thought about range, but I have a few 300 miles a day days a month due to work

9. fl0at_

You're right around the range for high end stuff for Ford, and the lower end stuff for Tesla. Which means you'd probably be alright, but you might have to fast charge every now and then.

IP likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

With so many multi car families, just getting to the point where folks tend to own one electric would be a big step forward.

11. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

We can manipulate the weather already. They just won't come out and admit everything they can do. Some countries have touted their weather technology creating rain in the deserts etc. If it started getting to the point where it looked like the point of no return I could see the world coming together for weather engineering to slow or stop global warming. NOW - what would the consequences of that be by manipulating mother nature? Who the hell knows. But I bet it would be on the table.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

My dude, we would [uck fay] that up so hard. Also, the weather engineering people are doing is small potatoes and the US was doing that sort of thing 60 years ago. I believe Vail in Colorado still pays to have silver iodide seeded into clouds to boost snowfall. Not at all the same as having more longwave radiation building up within the climate system on a global scale.

13. NorrisAlan

A-Smith likes this.
  14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Can someone explain to me the meaning of Aerosol Termination Shock?

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Sounds like a Radiohead song

gcbvol likes this.
  16. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

gcbvol and utvol0427 like this.
  17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Well, that's a start.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you are doing something to mask the effects of GHG's, like say putting up orbital solar reflectors or building big white floating platforms in the middle of the ocean while GHG's continue to increase, should something happen to those structures then the system would rapidly respond to the previously masked solar forcing such that the Earth would rapidly heat and very likely trigger additional positive feedback loops such that planetary extinction quickly follows.

If energy balance were money, solar geoengineering is a high interest nondischargeable loan and bankruptcy is global extinction of life.

gcbvol likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

My answer was better

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

A more plausible one would be injecting solar reflecting gasses into the stratosphere. Well, what if in 100 years or whenever we suddenly stopped, with 3 times the co2 we have now? Well we rapidly, like super rapidly, heat up is the concern. And the disruption in the engineering could be political or economic, but once it occurred it is like a big rig swerving around on the free way. Uncontrollable oscillations until death.

gcbvol likes this.