UPDATE From "Inside" Source

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 3, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

FDR, Stalin, and Churchill? Sorry. History guy making a bad history joke.....

I set the bar much higher for my dreams.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Stalin's Iron Curtain defense was legendary. And he knew how to get his defenders to just throw their bodies against the opponent, really sacrificing themselves.

FDR was able to sustain drives in multiple theaters, both on the ground and through the air.

And Churchill was a hell of a mastermind and motivator. I still remember many of his half-time speeches and post-game quotes.

3. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

This season was the tale of two worse case scenarios happening. From losing a potential AA DB in JJ, to having two major cogs of your offense go down as well.

The loss of JJ was a big difference maker in our secondary. JJ made Brewer look a lot better than he really had developed. Hell, at one point during the season, I swear an Amber alert was issued for Brewer. But despite this, the defense seemed to have gotten much better as the season progressed. Imagine having JJ, BB at the S, and having PWagg and whoever on the corners. If you'd had PWagg on opposite side of the field from JJ, Teague most likely doesn't look like a piece of severely burnt toast. But alas, what might have been.

Now onto the other side.....After the ass beating that we gave Cinci, things looked great for the passing game....however the running game was MIA.....Despite how you feel about Kiffin, I think he was spot on in dropping Poole way down.....Too bad it was Poole that stayed instead of Lennon Creer. The thing that puzzles me is that when Hunter went down, Arnett had 8 catches against Florida. Why the hell didn't we develop him more? God knows he catches the ball significantly better than "Hands of Stone" Zach Rogers. Our coaches were to f'n stupid to figure out that we needed a deep threat as DR was more productive in the underneath routes. The Bray goes down and we go to Simms??? I am sorry, but what respect I had for his rubber armed ass, ended on Sr day with his f'n Hulk Hogan antics when running through the T for the final time. Then, we decide to go all Spurrier and play musical QBs with Worley and Simms....

But all is not lost....Urban Crier is trying to raid Gaturd coaches and with Texass getting blasted by Baylor, Mack won't be around much longer.....How much fun would it be if little Will Muschamp bolted back to Texas?

Long story short, we need a RB coach, definitely a new OL coach.....And if we can get a HR caliber RB, our offense will be a helluva lot better next year....and finally, we need a damn kicker that can KO constantly to the endzone.

We're in serious trouble if we lose Wilcox, Sirmon, and Chaney in my opinion......If we lose all 3, we need to fork out some serious cash and get a HR hire coach.

On the UCLA deal, with Nueheisal out, that means that one of the greatest offensive coordinators in the game would be available in Norm Chow.

4. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Seems to me this wouldn't be the best year to replace your HC as there is a crazy amount of turnover thus competition for what 'established' or 'up and comers' are actually available at a fair price. Might be more prudent to simply stay with the current program, close strong on the recruiting class and work for 8 wins next year. That all assumes, of course, that Wilcox, Sirmon and Chaney stays. If not, all bets are off.

5. JayVols

I'm not convinced 8 wins allows Dooley to keep his job. The anger in a good portion of the fan base and amongst some boosters is real and palpable, and it's justifiable. His record hurts him enough, but when you add the general management fiasco of both on the field and in the media, the evidence is pretty damning that the job is too big for Dooley's ability.

If they all are still here, Bray, Hunter, and Rogers go pro. Year 4 would be a repeat of the excuses, deflection, and finger pointing in an attempt to avoid culpability for that 5-7 win season. 8 wins next year with that talent and that schedule would be underachieving. But, recent history has given little evidence to expect anything else.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

So Churchill as the head guy, FDR as the OC, and Stalin as the DC?

One question. Can they recruit?

You know, that guy from Germany with the funny mustache was able to get young guys to buy into his program. Maybe we should give him a look as recruiting coordinator?

tidwell likes this.
  7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Eh, I think you gotta go with Truman as OC, he knows when to throw the bomb.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

1. Why on earth would we want Muschamp to leave Florida? That would allow them to hire a competent coach.
    2. Norm Chow is at Utah now.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Those texts are well past the character limit...

10. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Was unaware that Chow had left UCLA. My bad on that. Not that I wanted Muschamp to leave, but it would be great for them to have to have the 3 coaches in three years as well.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I think the 3 coaches in 3 years thing is a bit overstated. It was so bad for Tennessee because Kiffin kicked a bunch of guys out and left right before signing day, as well as the fact that Fulmer left a bunch of bad players. Florida wouldn't be hurt as badly.

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

1. It will.
    2. It shouldn't.

JMHO.

13. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

With our schedule next year, if we don't win 8, then we're coach searching. Although, we should steal a win somewhere if, and I do stress if, we find a HR caliber RB.

14. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Not getting the "a home run back will solve a bunch of problems next year" stuff. Would it help, of course. Do Adrian Petersons grow on trees, no.

15. JayVols

Your humble opinion just so happens to be 100% correct, imho.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

In this case, I am sorry about that.

17. JayVols

Me too. Dammit.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

What if one goes?

And would an NFL team really hire Cheney?

Since we were hearing earlier that Hart wanted Dooley to make a change or leave, this seems to indicate that Hart couldn't find a suitable replacement or Dooley convinced him to give him another year.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

They have before. I think Cheney's stock is at an all time low.

20. WM

WM Active Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned on the board but looks like Arnett is transferring.