US Olympic Trials

Discussion in 'Sports' started by volfanbill, Jun 25, 2012.

1. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I don't know why, but if you put Olympic or any sort of International competition implications in front of just about any event, my interest in it grows roughly 3,582,964 times stronger.

Spent the past hour watching the swimming trials and I was glued to the screen just about as much as any sporting event you can name.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Former Vol is running in the women's 5,000 right now.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You're a loser. Seriously.

I do have some stake in this year's Olympics, however.. I know one of the swimmers for the Macedonian team and also know one of the sprinters for the USA. I guess I will pay some attention to what I consider the less interesting of the two Olympics, imo, jmho.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I knew that years ago. Regardless, it's still exciting.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Feel the same way. It's why I love the Ryder Cup so much.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Watching the women's Hammer Throw the other day, There were a few big heifers out there and one just plain weird one.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Breaststroke!

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

The only thing I like in the winter Olympics is hockey. I love all the sprinting and field events of the summer. Watching Phelps dominate last Olympics was pretty badass, too.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

anybody going to watch the runoff tonight?

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Read on SportsCenter's bottomline this morning that one conceded to spot to the other. What the hell is that about?

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Said her heart wasn't as peace with it. So she withdrew.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

What does that mean?

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Good question.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Love the Olympics, probably because I was a track guy throughout my life and this is the time for that sport to shine. It is interesting, though, that the international competition aspect makes it exponentially interesting. Hell, I was watching fencing in 2008 because we had some fencers in the medal hunt and I still have no idea how they score that shit. As for London, I can tell you that I will be tuning into basketball, soccer, track, swimming, volleyball and, maybe, gymnastics, if my wife finds out they are on (although, like figure skating, I find gymnastics a perfomrance and not a sport).

I´m in Peru now, visiting the in-laws, and they actually had the trials on TV, which is surprising. The only weird part is the Spanish dubbing. I got a little annoyed with the over-referencing of God and victory by the runners, a personal pet peeve, as if a god would give a crap if you got 1st or 6th at the Trials. Regardless, the track team looks pretty good, although I think we´ve had better ones.

15. InVolNerable

I only watch gymnastics if the girls are hot (and legal). No Nastia Lukin this year, but Alicia Sacramone is back and I'm watching everything she's in.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That girl is grade A fine

17. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

Then you aren't going to see much.

She didn't make the team.

18. InVolNerable

Shit. I thought I'd read she made the team. That sucks.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I am a principal investigator on a collaboration with the University of Cambridge. The team is taking a trip to Cambridge in August to work with the investigators on the project there. They plan on going a bit earlier to hang out in London before. Unfortunately, I will not be joining ... though at least for a good reason - the baby is due right around that time. I told them I don't want to hear a single story from that trip. Just keep it quiet...it never happened.

The good news is I plan on hitting every pub near Cambridge when I go over by myself in October.

20. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Sounds fun though. Never been to the uk. But I do have similar intentions this year while doing business in DC, Seoul, Bucharest, Boston, and San Fran.