US Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Jun 18, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

We are #2 in the world in curling. Rugby we are ranked top 20, so about the same. I'll give you Nordic. I find it funny that 2 out of 3 of them are sports that are truly popular in half a dozen counties max

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/08/04/how-usain-bolt-earns-20-million-a-year/

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

All I'm saying is it's clearly not ridiculous to question the claim made by ip that soccer will be relevant in this country in a generation.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

lol. we get housed in curling every time we're in the olympics, if we're #2, their rankings are even dumber than FIFA

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The **** does this have to do with anything?

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

You seem to be saying that if we cared about soccer, we would dominate. That's silly.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Name something we care about that we don't dominate or at least aren't among the elite at?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Did you read the article?

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Why do you think I asked the question?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It says right in there that the popularity in Europe has helped his earnings.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

And then it goes on to say that he's so popular, even people in the USA show up to see him run.

So by that same logic we can say swimming was popular in the USA because Michael Phelps was plastered all over the place?

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Sports? There's only one sport with massive international appeal, and we certainly aren't dominating it.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm talking anything. We dominate music, theater, movies, economics, the Internet, etc etc etc

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1993-01-17/sports/9301040264_1_billy-olson-track-and-field-sport

First sentence of article

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Whoah, whoah, whoah, partner. Back the truck up. Beep! Beep! Beep!

Did you mess up when you wrote the first sentence, do you not know what the word 'silly'means, or is something else going on entirely?

16. kidbourbon

Which part? If you think the best athletes in the US are not going into basketball and football, trying thinking again, and maybe harder this time.

17. kidbourbon

Try to stay on topic.

18. kidbourbon

Absolutely. Athletic talent is conspicuous as can be. The best athlete in kindergarten will remain the best athlete for the entirety. It's just a question of what sport he chooses.

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

but the best athlete is not always the best suited for a given sport. Marvell Wynne could destroy Lionel Messi in almost every sport you could name. And in soccer, Wynne can't make his national team and Messi is dominant.

20. kidbourbon

The reason A.A. participation in baseball is decreasing has nothing to do with it being "it's a rich boy sport". It's simply because they tend to like basketball better. I certainly can't blame them.