UT Athletics

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, May 20, 2022.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It doesn’t seem like there’s a lot to figure out. It’s not that it’s complicated or anything. It’s just really fast and well-executed.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Heup is a creator of mismatches. He’s going to find the weakness in any defense and exploit it on the fly, especially with a qb who can tuck it and go

3. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Drew Lock had 44 TDs as a junior at Missouri under Heupel as OC. When Heupel left for UCF and Lock got stuck with Dooley, he regressed to 28 TDs.

Memtownvol and 10SEvols like this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Spurrier feasted by not doing a whole lot of complicated stuff and being able to find mismatches.

5. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I'm excited to see what this offense can do with a year of experience behind them. Last year was teaching and searching for the right pieces. This year is about perfecting execution and going deeper into the playbook concepts and making better decisions more quickly. Hooker may end up looking like the best QB in college football this year.

Memtownvol, 10SEvols and justingroves like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would like that.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Year one to year two is usually the biggest jump

zehr27, PilotFlyingJ and OneForVol like this.
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

4 verts was a foreign concept in the south until the fun and gun

9. Ssmiff

remember Wuerffuls arm? He wasn't mobile and had no zip. spurrier would often just run 3 levels of routes to one side as qb would quickly ready the olb and/or safety and throw to a spot in zone, or hit a crossing route on a lb with a speedy slot vs man. Really wasn't complicated at all, but took a smart qb who would get rid of the ball when his back foot hit the 3 step drop.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I heard 1 pundit say that he was one of the top 10 QBs this year.

10SEvols likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

hopefully he improves on fumbles and I believe the staff has changed a couple things with him as far as release and where he holds the ball before a throw.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Statistically he was, I believe

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Correct me if I am misremembering, but a lot of those fumbles related to breakdowns. Less of those will help.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

Im sure they did but the ball was also down by his hip when stripped on some

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah, you are right.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I'm gonna save this quote.

SetVol13, IP and InVolNerable like this.
  17. Ssmiff

no shit I had to sit down and reread thrice

OneForVol, Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Y'all should be right more often, it is refreshing.

19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I've never been more wrong about a player than I was when I said last August that we'd be in trouble if Hooker ended up as our QB. He doesn't always look the part but dadgum he's got good skills and he's in a system that he can not only grow in but thrive.

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

If he duplicates or improves his offensive production this year, would Hendon become a 1st round pick? Loaded QB draft next year, but will be interested on whether NFL folks thinks his game translates.