UT's Performance Versus Recruiting Rankings

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Oct 22, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

2. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

That's taking Dooley classes into account, too.

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Ole Miss seems to be an chart buster

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Ole Miss has only been good one year, holmes.

5. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

at least we aren't cal.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Ouch

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yes

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

But we're on top of the regression of losers. Suck it Kansas, Virginia, Colorado, Maryland, Illinois, and Cal. We're back!!!

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But hey! Look where Cincinnati is!

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

It's also taking Kiffin's 2009 class into account as well as DDIAPOS' 3-year hullabaloo. We could have taken the #60 class in 2009, 2010 and 2011 and our record over that span wouldn't be much different.

2009 and 2010 classes were almost a complete wash thanks to Kiffin pink-socking us.

2011 and 2012? Brilliantly setup for the replacement.

2013 was slap-chop in the short period Jones had to put a class together.

2014 was the first complete class we've had in probably 8-10 years.

So while I get what this chart is saying, there is a lot that needs to be said behind this. Regardless of your feelings regarding Jones and his staff.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

It also factors in Fulmer's last three classes and Kiffin's '08 class.

Edit: Kiffin obviously didn't have an '08 class. It takes into account Fulmer's last four classes.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

So there is not ne team that has recruited as well as us that has performed worse. Color me shocked. Wonder how this would play on toos?

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Top 20 in recruiting, outside the top 50 in playing the game

Life of a vol fan

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Has there been any other team with so many head coaches in that time span? Maybe Arkansas State?

Has there been any team who has had a more difficult schedule? I truly, truly doubt it. We played some tough OOC games and got Alabama every year, and usually one of the other top West teams too.

I could be wrong, but I bet we've had an anomalously high number of ranked opponents. Would be interested to see.

15. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

We don't have depth.

Lame Kiffen and Dooley's fault.

Butch will turn it around cause he wants to be here when no one else wanted the job.

The person who made the chart hates us.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Looks like Bama, Vandy, and Missouri are the only SEC teams that aren't below the line. Of course Mizzou gets an asterisk. That would indicate that being in the SEC pushes you towards the red. Still we have the most negative residual of anyone in the SEC and almost anyone in the country.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

They might point out that the Bearcats are way above the line, which is actually not a bad point.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

But like I was getting at, deviation might have a hell of a lot to do with scheduling. I bet teams in better conferences would perform "worse" relative to recruiting than teams in crappier conferences. This graphic is assuming a 4 loss SEC team with 4 star talent has performed less well than a 3 loss Big East team with 3 star talent. I don't think that is the case.

19. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Right. Missed the part about 5 seasons.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Maybe. They're using Massey which currently has the SEC 1-4 and Georgia # 6. Even if you're right, it doesn't change the fact that we're the worst in the SEC at utlizing talent. Ole Miss and Kentucky are our only true rivals.