Vandy - 2.19.19

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Feb 19, 2019.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Defense was stagnant. Late closeouts all game by Admiral and Bowden. Poor ball pressure by Bone. Alexander gets pushed around by everybody it seems.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We didnt play bad D and give up 46.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, that was an awful game to watch.

4. Ssmiff

I saw 8 or 9 bad defensive possessions in the game. They got very little at the rim and scored 40 points less than last time we played them. Wasnt that bad.

5. GahLee

Vandy hasn't won a game in ages. There were plenty of bad possessions as a team but individually guys looked completely disinterested at times.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

That was a lot of awful out there tonight. One team was awful and the other played awful. I just hope this is a throwaway gave because we've looked ragged for a while in a lot of areas and that shit catches up with a team sooner or later.

7. GahLee

They've lost that loving feeling....

8. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

We're definitely losing more than winning down the stretch playing like this.

9. Ssmiff

Yeah plenty of ugly. Seems like a lot of ugly ball on tv right now. We obviously peaked early. But we did play ok D imo and only gave up 4 2nd chance pts. Vandy ran that double elbow stuff last time and we couldnt stop it. I dont recall them having much success with it tonight.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Should’ve been a 25 pt win.

There was a time in December where Alexander was an asset, making an impact on both ends of the floor. Rebounding, blocking shots, altering shots. His game is weak right now.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He seems, uh, nervous when he gets the ball. Which is weird for a Senior.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're full-blown regressing.

Pretty clear that anything under paint not thrown up by Williams is looking for a whistle to finish the job. I wonder how many years Alexander would need to play college basketball to quit being surprised and looking at the ref after a foul isn't called. Just put it through the hoop, don't assume a whistle is coming.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Hes had some good games in league play, too, he had like 15 and 17 against somebody, but he’s been a ghost for a couple of weeks

14. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Barnes seemed to not be that concerned post game and attribute a lot to 3 games in 6 days...

Not to mention USC and especially UK was physical as hell.

He mentioned sometimes you have to just grind...

Hopefully they use the extra day this week to rest up and get fresh legs and back in sync for LSU

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I do think they were gassed tonight.

16. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Short turn around, brutally physical game on Sat, and some emotional hangover I am sure. They may have not been good tonight, but they manage to not let UK beat them twice by losing to Vandy.

Also, I read that of all of Vandy's losses, that was the 4th or 5th highest margin of victory against them. So, while they suck, we played like piss and still beat a team that finds a way to stay in games regularly.

17. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Call me crazy, but this has been the most pleased I have been after a Tennessee game in about a month. Other than turnovers, I felt like it was the most complete game Tennessee has played in awhile. Shooting is about fifth on my list of concerns for this team. Keep staying focused, defending and eliminating second chance points and this team will meet its goals. It is imperative to reverse the finesse/offensive style back to strength/defensive style that led this team to success last season. Look at some of Tennessee's SEC games last year and you would notice they mirror tonight.

Jordan Bowden needs to exorcise some demons that may be creeping back into his head and Kyle Alexander needs to be challenged by his teammates. I am fine with tonight.

Tenacious D likes this.
  18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

A win is a win, I guess but I just don’t think playing like that is going to be sufficient against teams like LSU and others that can match up with you. It’s been a great season up to now but we still have time to Cruz Azul it up...

19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

They looked locked in, physical, and hyped in the first 5 minutes or so. And when Vandy didn’t roll over, it was like, [uck fay] it.

20. Ssmiff

Bowdens issues with inconsistent shooting are when hes elevating and sliding. Adds too much math. Rhythm jumper from inside out with a little elevation and squared up, hes money.