Video: "What Would You Do?"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I always enjoy these, as I believe it's an accurate (albeit infinitely small) sampling of much of society. I also wonder what I'd do, too.

[YOUTUBE]FbWmBUONtFY[/YOUTUBE]

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I would certainly interject in defense of the woman. I believe fear is by far the biggest culprit behind this type of stereotype and reaction.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;17FBIoOJOhg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17FBIoOJOhg[/video]

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

There must be some mistake. I've been assured that I am imagining racism still being a part of American life.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'd call it religious persecution personally.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bigotry, in any event. But "camel jockey," doesn't sound very religiously motivated.

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I thought he said something about not serving Muslims and went on about her being in a Halloween costume. Either way, we're both in agreement that it's wrong in all aspects. Also, those people that were standing idly by should be ashamed of themselves. From my perspective they're as bad as those who were condoning it.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. They should feel humiliated.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Do you think she would have been treated the same prior to 9/11?

There will always be a fringe; are you seeking no racism from anyone?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

We just have different metrics on what constitutes "fringe." Unless ABC had to run this experiment for weeks, I'd say they were having little problem finding the clips necessary for their story.

Also, mark my words: before this whole NBA deal is done with Sterling, there will be more than just him revealed to be a racist AND he will ultimately win any legal challenge against the NBA's actions.

12. Tenacious D

I don't think that anyone would (or certainly has) attempt to argue that racism / bigotry is dead, either in this country, or anywhere else.

I just don't believe that it is the singular or even primary motivation in the overwhelmingly vast majority of cases.

That being said, I would not have sided with the woman, but the shopkeeper, instead. The woman is clearly Muslim....who has chosen to live as a heathen in what is clearly an exclusively Christian nation. If she wanted some baked goods, she should have to switch religions, or simply wear jeans, just like the rest of us.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I assume this is a troll.

14. Tenacious D

1. I would not be shocked if his fellow owners fail to force a sell of the franchise. And if such occurs, I will not see that as their somehow condoning his statements / beliefs, in any way. Instead, they will simply vote along the lines of what Mark Cuban has already said: that saying something, however reprehensible, should not compel a loss of property.

2. He will not win any legal challenge against the NBA, neither regarding what has already been done (fine, banishment), nor even if they force a sale of the franchise. And that's even if he files, which I doubt, as such would be such an (apparently) entirely fruitless effort.

15. Tenacious D

The next time someone asserts that I am trolling, paste a link to this post, as it is the best evidence that I am really completely incompetent in the whole trolling department, amongst many others.

I can't get the tenor of the troll down, and don't have the patience to slow-play it.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

If the video were taped right after 9/11 I bet more would have supported the clerk.

If Sterling happened in the 60's it would be a non-story.