POLITICS Virginia a testing ground for 2020.

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by TheOrangeEmpire, Dec 20, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

for the sake of moving forward, we will keep to homicide rates.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No one said your numbers weren’t good.

I said London is having struggles with a rising homicide rate. Which is true, that doesn’t mean that it didn’t start at a low number but is trending upward. While the U.K. is trending downward.

London’s a low number just like West Virginia and the other states I listed have really low homicide rates, especially a really low homicide rate if you just look at gun homicides.

So a high rate of gun ownership doesn’t mean you’re going to have a high rate of gun homicides.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

is it fair to say it is impossible to have a high gun homicide rate without guns?

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Would it be fair to say you can have a high homicide rate without guns?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

You could.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Then why the obsession with guns?

We don’t have a serious gun homicide issue in this is country or a homicide issue in general

We have a drug war and outside of that a pretty peaceful population. So why the push to strip that freedom, when there’s way more pressing issues.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

well, I think we have a difference of opinion on this stuff. I'm not pushing to strip anything. but problems can't be ever dealt with if they are ignored or just accepted. the murder rate is higher here than any peer country. It seems to at least in part be connected to the increased presence of guns.

That doesn't mean we should lose our 2nd amendment rights, but it does suggest we should consider ways to improve the situation.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Just who is our peer countries?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Other first world, developed countries.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

So us as a very large and heterogeneous population should be looking at small mostly homogeneous societies with Canada, Europe, and Japan.

Again we're not violent as a society. We have a drug war and outside of that we're even with all of our guns basically the same as those countries on homicide rate.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

homogeneous doesn't describe europe or Canada. I gotta challenge you on that. Also, Europe has far more people than the US, i.e. is larger than what you describe as very large.

"basically the same" is subjective. Objectively, the rates are not the same and ours is higher.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

See that's the issue.

Homicide Violence is so condensed in America that it's hard to flesh out at the national level.

Normally 70ish percent of counties in America have just one or no homicides in them in a year. Most of those in places with the highest amounts of gun ownership in the country.

While just 5 percent of counties have over 2/3rds of all the murders in America and even then it's just hot beds in those counties having all the murders.

13. TheOrangeEmpire

TheOrangeEmpire Active Member

14. TheOrangeEmpire

15. TheOrangeEmpire

Probably the most fascinating bill presented this session.

Sorry about the fonts, formats and posts. Interwebz are non cooperative.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

17. CardinalVol

And Virginia being the state that does this is irony at its finest. Jefferson and Madison are rolling over in their graves.

justingroves likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

hook their ankle bones to a generator for clean renewable power. Confederate idols are going next. It's 2020 and we don't worship the dead.

19. CardinalVol

Jefferson would probably be all for it.

That's a big damn jump there between founding fathers and confederate memorials.

justingroves likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

sacred cows, is all I meant. I don't think the FFs would have many partisan takes on our present world. In fact, they would probably object to the partisanship of our time.