Vols Spring Practice 2012

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

As much as I want to get excited about positive info coming out over the next 3 weeks and thru the summer, Im gonna temper those feelings and wait til September.

It is great to hear that Hunter is coming along well. Im glad for him.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That was actually when I was at my best when I was in college.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

What Hardesty did his Senior year was impressive. The Sullins twins were the one of the worst feel-good story to ever happen to Tennessee. I am sure they are great guys and all, but it speaks volumes about the depths to which recruiting big uglies had fallen by the time 2009 rolled around. It was a great story too, so long as they weren't on your line. Personally, I would have rather had Ricky Tidwell, or his mama, or any real recruit that wasn't a walk-on, but that was the best they had to put on the field. I think it also speaks volumes with regard to the offensive scheme that year compared to the previous few and following years.

I guess you could call the running game good that year. I am not sure I would. Seems like there were times it wasn't as reliable as it should have been. Any other season, Hardesty is barely relevant.

Another back who obviously had some talent was Foster, but it never fully blossomed while at UT. Why that is can be debated, but I would say that it had to do with some combination of O-line talent, scheme, and his psyche.

Other than a few moments here and there, I wouldn't say the running game has been good since 2004.

4. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

There's a tale I heard from someone (the extent of truth of it I don't know) that tells of Spencer Riley or one of the UT lineman in that game telling the Razorback defensive line on that drive what play was going to be run pre-snap and what gap it was going to and that there was nothing they could do to stop it. Badass, if true.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Yeah I don't believe that.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[video=youtube;5V5hjjN5Kb8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V5hjjN5Kb8&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

[video=youtube;8z3REGUoiN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z3REGUoiN0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[video=youtube;wC1jxU5OiNw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC1jxU5OiNw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tiny:

[video=youtube;MkqLPY0X2bQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkqLPY0X2bQ&feature=plcp&context=C495e46cVDvjVQa1PpcFPWk8DOzfiU4JcYaPhdGfV-cmdZU4SxJgE=[/video]

8. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

"Tale" being the key word. I can't remember who I heard it from. He may have been full of it. Regardless if true just always thought it made for an interesting lore story for '98,

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Spencer Riley and Cosey Coleman were supposedly some of the best shit talkers to ever wear orange

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Time for him to supplant Dallas Thomas.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[video=youtube;Oiz4xz1YXog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oiz4xz1YXog&feature=player_embedded[/video]

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Derek. DEREK. If you tell us for the last 2 years that we are not good because we don't have depth, you can't then tell us not to confuse now having depth with now being good. This is YOUR team. You built it. If you have "a lot of good bodies with skill sets" (your words) but you can't "figure them out" (your words), whose fault is that, Derek?

God damnit, I want to get excited but this guy inspires no confidence for me.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Worst [uck fay]ing coach ever. Guy is an excuse factory. I am just soooo tired of his shit!

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's the anti Croom

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

To be fair, there are those talking up sleepers for SEC East and SEC champs already. He does have to temper expectations for some of the fanbase.

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Jason Layman, imo, imho, vfl.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think I was being any sort of unfair. I'm not expecting a trip to Atlanta. He shouldn't be ruling one out at this stage, either. Why plant the seeds in his team's head that there is a ceiling to what they are capable of?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Epic pic.

[​IMG]

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

That's a 600cc too.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I was only making a general observation, and I agree. It's one of those times of the year when part of the fanbase starts whipping itself into a frenzy. Maybe he is just trying to head it off at the pass by poor-mouthing the team.

I actually feel a little sorry for him. It wouldn't surprise me if he had to brush his teeth with tough-actin' Tinactin. The man can hardly speak without saying something stupid for one reason or another. Sometimes I wonder if he appreciates where he is in regard to his career. It's one thing when a Spurrier or Saban or someone else who has won something as a head coach comes out and criticizes his team, their talent level, or specific members. When you are DD, you need to hold off until you have at least partially proven you know something about winning. All he has proven so far is that he doesn't know when to quit running his mouth at times.