Vols to open '17 season vs GaTech in new Falcons stadium

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorthGaVol, Aug 26, 2014.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I seriously hope the SEC doesn't expand again. 16 teams would be stupid. 14 is bad enough.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

What are the current terms?

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If a team leaves then the ACC gets the money they school makes from the new conference they go to.

Edit - this was incorrect. Here is the actual one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...illion-exit-fee-went-info-effect-immediately/

I was incorrect, it's basically 3 years worth of cash under the ACC rules at the time. So, it might be worth it, but will be a huge one or two year hit.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

They have a fanbase in eastern Ohio, WV (duh) and into DC, Baltimore, and parts of Pennsylvania. They aren't as big as most of the SEC teams, but it does expand the footprint. With West Virginia added, the SEC may be more prominent than the ACC in DC. That would be impressive.

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Thanks. I honestly didn't know but understand that drives the decision making more than what makes sense on a map.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right. Keep in mind I predicted Missouri and TAMU (there is a blog post somewhere). WVU would definitely be one of the higher targets if there was another round of expansion. What Involnerable said in this thread is exactly right: it is about markets. Also, Any SEC team has veto votes. So FSU, Clemson, even GT are unlikely to ever get in. Same with Texas, not that it even matters. I think the whole SEC West would veto that.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

WVU would make sense for expanding markets, as would VT and NC State if ACC teams came on the table (this is assuming UNC would never leave their bounceyhoops league--although it is possible that State would actually do a better job at delivering NC football fans than Carolina would. purely speculation, but possible)

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I agree. It would have to be something like 4 divisions of 4 teams and it would be even more years between playing some teams in their own conference.

The North division -UT, UK, Vandy and VTech or WVU
    The Toothless division -Bama, AU, Ole Miss, Miss St.
    The West division- Ark, A&M, Mizzou, LSU
    The East division - UF, UGa, USC, NC St.

9. Tar Volon

You could make it work with a nine-game conference schedule to where you preserve two rivals and get to play every team in the conference at least once every three years. Of course, the conference title game would still take some work, but consider the following nine-game schedule based on your plan.

*3 games against division opponents
    *4 games against opponents in one other division (rotating yearly)
    *2 games against permanent rivals in the two remaining divisions.

On your scheme, UT would be permanent rivals with Bama, Arkansas, and Florida. So we'd play them every year, plus our three division opponents, plus the remaining three teams from whichever division is up next on the rotation. Maintain permanent rivals, play everybody relatively often, no problem.

10. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Tennessee would be running shit in the North division.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think UT would want VT or UVA in. Maybe not a North Carolina school either. Same with SCAR. I would bet West Virginia and either OU or OSU would be the next 2.

12. Tar Volon

Oh, I agree. just thinking from an overall conference perspective.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sexified your divisions for you.

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Yeah, Jeremy Foley would probably go crying to Mike Slive about that. Funny, he never complains about the huge recruiting advantage they have merely by location.

15. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

bringing sexy back

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

This rationale is stupid, btw.

17. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I will presumably be working in Atlanta when this happens. Convenient for me.

18. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Care to explain?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

How about it brings in one of the last remaining confederate states? That do anything for ya? Just need NC and VA. Then we change the name to the Stars and Bars conference and kick out Kentucky.

20. Tar Volon

and kick out Missouri