Vols vs. State

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Oct 8, 2019.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

That was Stewart Mandel

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's funny because a lot of the dull knives in the fan base claim Stewart hates Tennessee

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This stretch coming up, with every game winnable outside of Alabama, will let us know if he gets walking papers next November or stays here for awhile.

I think Pruitt is a good coach, but he hasn't been a good head coach consistently. He didn't spend enough time assembling his offensive staff last year, but at least he blew it up and started over.

He demoted Sherrer, but the dline and the dbs still can't figure out what they're doing.

He's a 2nd year head coach learning on the job. He's had two terrible screwups and a few good moments.

It's going to be hard to recover from this year's start, but he wins 6 games and doesn't continue to repeat mistakes, he may make it.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Corrected. I was looking at one headline and clicking another.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

warhammer likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love you man, but at a certain point you have no one to blame but yourself. we have become an SEC also-ran, and that happened a decade ago. Part of recovery is acknowledging where we really are.

7. NorrisAlan

Oh, I have. I believe we are a middle tier program now and we may never get back.

We suck and have for a long time now.

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Middle tier...lol

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

We are orange UCLA. We've were both last in the national title conversation 20 years ago and largely irrelevant since with the exception of a season or two that looked decent but was largely disappointing, both have huge stadiums, and both seem like there is no good reason they can't be successful but neither can get out of their own way.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Yeah, but we fill our stadium and we have more money tied to the football program. UCLA just doesn't care about football.

Anyway. I don't see how this Schrader kid doesn't tear us up. We have to make him beat us through the air, but he looks to be a solid thrower as well. Their defense is the reason why there's any hope, but they're gonna read option and RPO us to death so we'd have to score like 30-40 if we're gonna win, and I just can't see that happening.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

if we are middle tier, which teams in the SEC are not middle tier?

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dwight Schrute's cousin, Mose, isn't much of a passer. There's also another qb they shoehorn in there too

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Except UCLA has beaten a IA team this year.

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Every other P5 team in the country can say that.

15. NorrisAlan

Almost all of them save those in the upper crust.

I'm talking in all of fbs, we are pretty middle tier as a program. This year is really bad but I don't expect it to last as this bad.

But unless something unforeseen happens, I don't know if we will ever be a championship team again.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

If someone had told you 10 years ago that Clemson would win 2 NCs with Dabo, you'd have thought they were nuttier than squirrel shit. All it takes is the right coach and it can turn in a hurry.

TangoUniform and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  17. NorrisAlan

Hey! I'm trying to be miserable here.

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

He looks like Anthony Michael Hall in Johnny Be Good in that vol walk video.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It's hard to believe.

Bowden wasnt great by any means but he was never terrible either.

They fired him in the name of getting serious about taking the next step and then handed the keys to a WR coach that was on staff.
    And they were ready to fire him before he took off.

justingroves likes this.
  20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

The team looked prepared and bought in Saturday nite.

Even after the game got away the comments by them still seem to be upbeat and focused going forward.

Everyone knows Saturday is winnable including them.
    This game can be "if'd" to death but heres mine.

Chaney needs to balance the game out. Maurer is capable but he doesnt need the weight of the game on his shoulders from the start. The more balls he throws the more chance he does something they cant do and win. He will have to make some plays for UT to win but he shouldnt be asked for too many.
    Chandler needs 20 carries

UT played it's best football last Saturday for 2 quarters. That level without the second half mistakes wins this week. Hopefully its there.

hohenfelsvol likes this.