Vote for Harrison

Discussion in 'Sports' started by cotton, Apr 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Split between her and my other two brothers. I got the looks and the rapist wit.

2. InVolNerable

State champ triple jump. Only her third time competing in the event, not too shabby.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I believe I know who she is. She's really good, congrats. If she's running, it's going on right now, though.

4. InVolNerable

She just won 4x1 and 4x2. 4 events. 4 first places. I couldn't be more proud of her.

5. Unimane

I honestly don't remember anyone going 4 for 4 in the state track meet. That's an unreal accomplishment, you definitely should be beaming right now. Plus, if she hasn't already signed, she should be making herself some serious scholarship money with all those college coaches around, although, if she's at Hume-Fogg, I doubt she has to worry about it. Either way, I wager she'll have little concern for student loans.

6. InVolNerable

She signed with Duke as a jumper a little while ago, which is why she picked up triple jump. Turned out she was pretty good at it. Her lowest grade throughout high school was a 95. I'm not sure exactly how much her scholarships cover, but she's definitely set.

7. Unimane

Well, damn.

8. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Congrats IVN. Had an athlete sign with Stanford recently. Pretty interesting, her scholarship was only worth about $100 or so bc they said they could give her almost a full ride in grants/aid/etc vs. a smaller athletic scholarship. Still gets the perks of being a D1 signee.

Had athletes there as well tonight. Jr. Sprinter swept the 100, 200, & 400. Won the 400 last year as well. She is having mail pouring in from all the big time schools. TN sent her a ton of letters but I mentioned she ought to just ignore the name on the bottom bc it would be changing..lol.

Kid from Whitehaven went 4-4 as well...won the 100, 200, and 1st in 2 relays..she is really fast.

Harrison is a good kid, great in decath. Should also win the HJ, Pole Vault, and probably Hurdles on Friday as well.

9. InVolNerable

Damn. They just missed out on the team title. Lost by 6 points to Signal Mountain.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Signal Mountain has a hell of a sports program going. They get all the kids who's parents don't want to pay for Baylor or McCallie.

11. InVolNerable

Yeah, they had four more qualifiers than Hume-Fogg did which was huge.

One of the girls from SM got hurt in the 100 and was on crutches. The coach made her run the 200m so that they could get the 8th place point.

[​IMG]

12. Unimane

Some schools take it a little more seriously than maybe they should. I don't know if this was a case of that. However, for our own part, we had a kid last week who crashed into a hurdle in practice and broke his collarbone. He desperately wanted to run the 300 hurdles (which he had qualified for on his own merits) in the sectional meet. He got a doctor's release and ran the 300h and 4x200 relay a few days later. He would, literally, take his sling off at the starting line and then put it back on after the race. For a generation of whiny, soft complainers, it was pretty badass to see.

13. InVolNerable

If he was capable, then more power to him. That's actually an awesome story. But I think a 52 second 200 by someone who won the event last year is pretty indicative she probably shouldn't have run in it.

14. Unimane

Yeah, I was checking the scores and, by that point in the meet, they would have known they were going to win. Kind of sketchy sounding, I agree, if it wasn't the girl's idea.

15. Unimane

OK, I finally saw this Harrison kid tonight and he is ridiculous. He ran a 36.4 300m hurdles, which is well beyond anything I've ever seen on this level. I seriously think he is a 50-50 shot at the 2020 Games.

16. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

He really is a special talent. I have had the fortune to see this kid and talk with him quite a bit over the last 3 years or so. He definitely has the athleticism and genetics / body frame to continue and make a push. Curious to see how he does as a freshman. Would be shocked if he is not a NCAA contender by his sophomore year and possibly in multiple events (decath, PV, HJ).

He has done really well at the big Arcadia Meet out in California the past two years against the Nations best.

Another random note. Kid comes from a pretty affluent family. In addition to the resources at Stanford, money will not stand in the way of this kids development.

17. InVolNerable

MUS attendance was a pretty good indicator of this.

18. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

A lot if kids there, as other private schools, who are on aid or whose parents go without things and pick up other jobs to send their kids to these schools. A lot of wealthy families, but a lot if average people as well.

19. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

20. Unimane

The picture is either from the first hurdle or doctored because I was there and no one was close to him. In fact, his 300 hurdle race was about as impressive as anything I've ever seen in high school track. Just to demonstrate, here's his race on the link below. Go to 2:29:00 of the video to see his race. He's the guy wearing.....nevermind, I think you'll figure out who he is.

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/95976