vs. #1 Gonzaga

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Dec 9, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

But when Williams is in, we almost rely on him too much.

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Focusing it all through Grant works best though. Especially when Bowden, Turner, Scofield and Bone are hitting 3s because they're gonna get tons and tons of looks with the double teams that Grant gets. Also, Grant is a terrific passer from high to low post to Scofield and Alexander

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean, I guess they did do all this running through Williams. But the difference between being a tough team no one wants to play and being a national champion is going to be up to the other guys stepping up. Pons and Fulkerson have taken big strides but that needs to continue. Similarly, there needs to be a strong offense even without Williams (which we got today, and was the difference).

4. BigOrangeBeech

When we get to March, Bone will become one of, if not the most important player. Got to have a difference maker at this PG position. He has gotten better, but still needs to finish better around the rim. He has developed a nice little 10-12 foot jump shot.

But the two things this team does extremely well that is going to give them a chance to do something no other TN team has done, is they share the ball (20 assists per game.) And their team defense. Offensively, we didnt play a complete game tonight. We started well and ended well, the in between was very average. But the defense kept us close, and that made the difference. And the defense late in the game was lights out.

Poppa T and IP like this.
  5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I legitimately thought they called an off-the-ball foul. Didn’t go back and replay it, but it really looked like nothing.

6. BigOrangeBeech

They waited until the shot didnt go in, then blew the whistle. I went back and watched it. It was pathetic.

Then there was another part in the game where Williams goes up, there was plenty of body to body contact, no foul called...Zags take it down and have a very similar play and they get the call. Cant remember if it was Williams on the foul for that or not. But it was a bad series of events.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was there any contact at all?

8. BigOrangeBeech

If there was it was just a graze. The guy was fading away from the basket, should not have been a foul called.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

This man.

A-Smith and Tenacious D like this.
  10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He has been the constant for UT. He has to touch the ball. We get better shots (not just his) when that happens. There's only 1 player opposing coaches give extra attention or help toward on UTs team. He has become a weapon as a passer as well.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m not going to forego my enjoyment of either this team or this season by nitpicking them to death and wringing my hands.

They deserve that.
    Barnes deserves that.
    We deserve that.

Instead, I’m just going to believe that they can play with anyone in the country, right now, and trust that they’ll continue to improve as the season progresses. If they do, you’re going to play hell putting this Tennessee team out, come March.

I wasted a bunch of football seasons in not just enjoying and appreciating the ride, and a few basketball seasons, too, and I don’t want to make the same mistake on this one.

We have a chance to have a really, really special season, and I’m just going to pull hard for them to make it a reality.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Honestly, if we avoid Michigan, Duke, Gonzaga (with Tillie) and Kansas, then I would almost pencil us into the Final Four, barring some major injury. We see those four and we have a serious fight on our hands. I really would not want to see Michigan until the end. Obviously, the nature of the tournament is such that one bad game can change everything, but this also is a solid, mentally tough team which should be able to handle the type of pressure March will bring.

And, just to add, this will be a very good team next year, too, provided Williams doesn't go pro. We lose Alexander and Admiral, but pick up a top 15 player in James. We could still be a top 10 team next season.

A-Smith likes this.
  13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

You don't have to nitpick anything.

When Alexander was on the floor to match up with their bigs, we were better than #1 Gonzaga. His foul trouble kept the Zags in the game.

And that's damned impressive.

A-Smith likes this.
  14. BigOrangeBeech

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Tenacious D, after the next loss:

utvol0427 and Tenacious D like this.
  16. Tenacious D

As someone who doesn’t know enough about hoops to feel comfortable with even my own opinions on what’s happening, I appreciate hearing this from someone who does.

I honestly felt like we did the same thing versus Kansas, and that we lost that game, moreso than they won it.

17. Tenacious D

Fair.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

So Top 15?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This team is good. Really good. As much as I love #5 and friends, this team is better. Best shot on paper we've ever had at a Final Four in my life.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Bone is underappreciated. Man had 9 assists yesterday. Inconsistent scorer but points from him aren’t so critical imo