vs GaTech (11/13)

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This is the sloppiest I've seen this team play in quite some time.

tvolsfan likes this.
  2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Need to get it out now, got Louisville and potentially Kansas next week.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Pastner and Bone on the All-Bad Hair team.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Tech's playing pretty good defense but UT's decision making is making it easier for them

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And damn it some goofy unathletic dork from GT just messed up Schofield’s ankle.

IP likes this.
  6. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Pastier has the hair of a toddler whose parent’s are putting off their first cut. What a dork.

utvol0427 likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Looks like he needs to let his soul glow

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Looks like a poodle that got in the trash can.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Ugly ass game with no flow and terrible free throw shooting, but looks like we'll win by 10+. I remain concerned about guarding on the perimeter, just as I did last year, as we have a lot of difficulty containing players off the dribble.

10. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Yeah that was a brutal offensive game for us and we pretty much controlled it throughout.

And I hate college refs, man.

11. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I hope that was our worst game of the year. Sloppy turnovers and missed free throws.

12. BigOrangeBeech

Yeah, hit our free throws we win by 20. Play a less sloppy game and probably win by 30.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

If that is our worst game, we will be undefeated national champions.

It was ugly, but it was never in doubt.

justingroves, Ssmiff and zehr27 like this.
  14. BigOrangeBeech

Offensive was pretty bad. We played solid D for the most part which is why we held a 10 point +/- lead the entire game, and like you say never felt like the game was in jeopardy.

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Yeah, I wasn’t impressed. I wonder how we will handle the spotlight this year.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’ve moved these posts to their own thread, as we’ll do for each game this season.

1. I don’t know a damn thing about basketball. I couldn’t consistently identify the difference between a zone and man. I don’t really know which numbers relate to which position (ie 1 = PG? 5 = C?, maybe). I’m a barely / slightly more self-aware Joe Fan. Barely. These caveats will, and should, apply for any post or point I ever make.

2. It was a 13-point win over a bottom-dwelling ACC team that will likely struggle to be .500 on the season. It’s going to be a sizable adjustment for me to watch this team play the season out and with a legit shot at earning a #1 seed - every single game matters and is spotlighted on the big stage. We’re not sneaking up on anyone this year, and will get the very best of every team, every night - they’ll all be seeking to put a win over Tennessee as the #1 bullet on their NCAA Tourney resume. Maybe it’s just me, but I just felt that sort of additional pressure and GaTech’s desperation to win that game. I didn’t see much of the first half, but had to listen to Kesling’s call...so it should be safely assumed that I have no idea what was going on during that time.

3. What are we great at? GREAT? If the game is on the line, if we’ve got to silence a crowd with a big bucket, if we’re just going to come on the floor and grind a single thing until they stop it...what’s that thing? Grant Williams in the post, probably? SEC Player of the Year or not, is he single-handedly good enough to take over any game, against nearly any opponent, and carry this team? I don’t think so. Sorry, I just don’t (see bullet point 1).

4. And Williams needs to stop whining to the refs on every other trip up court, because that’s going to start working against him. As reigning SEC POTY, he’s going to get most whistles, unless he continues to demand EVERY whistle, and the refs push back on him. Just shut up and play.

5. This team will have to win on defense, but eventually they’ll have to score points, and I worry that our offense doesn’t have a difference maker, and will be too easily derailed by a team of superior talent. Who can consistently be counted on to put the ball on the floor, drive and finish at the rim? Better, who do we have that you can feed and let them create their own shot, if needed? Am I missing something?

6. Admiral looked non-existent last night, and I wonder if he’s healthy. Our entire bench contributed a grand total of FOUR (4!) points. Fulkerson looks healthy again. Was Pons’ night as bad as his stat line suggests? Who else were we missing last night, and why? Where was Lamonte Turner?

7. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I had the exact same feeling last night that I had all of last year...we look like we’re a team with undoubtedly excellent coaching, but which is lead by 1-2 above average players, and a bunch of hit-or-miss role players. For however justifiably laudable our total-team effort, I still see us as largely being a team of well-coached role players, and which is still missing 1-2 difference-making players away from having a legit shot at making hay come March. I don’t see us as being on par with other Top 5 teams in the country, thus far. But, again and admittedly, I don’t know basketball and it’s still very, very early in the season.

8. Our free throw shooting had best get drastically improved, and too quick to talk about it, because it doesn’t make a damn how quick the whistle and how many times you get to the line, if you can’t make them pay for it, once there.

24 of 38 (63%) overall, and 12 of 20 (60%) in the 2nd half.

A win is a win is a win, and I’m very glad that we got it. But concerns persist.

Flame away, I’m happy to be educated.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’m really concerned about this, too.

18. BigOrangeBeech

A good indication of where we are in regards to this will be revealed next week in the NIT tournament. We have Louisville first and if we win that we'll play Kansas. I wont be ready to jump off the train if we lose, but it better not be a UK Duke type of game.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just a friendly reminder... you can't take the football emotions and judge a basketbal game. Especially in November. This was a W. It was ugly at times, but mostly because as I mentioned in another thread, GA Tech wanted to make this game ugly. They succeeded.

We held them to 53 points. Hit free throws and we win by 25. A win is a win.

My only concern to this point is I feel we are one dynamic shooter away from being in the mix to win it all. With the defensive length we have and the chance to peak at the right time, this team will be in the hunt deep into March.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Need Lamonte and Bowden to spot up and be ready to shoot with the double teams Grant will see.
    You also dont want to peak now.
    We will lose some games. Its basketball. Some nights the ball drops easier.