vs. WVU

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Jan 26, 2019.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That was an odd way to structure your argument then. The way I read that was that poor 3 pt shooting teams would have a hard time beating us.

IP likes this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They will.

Everybody is overreacting to the last two games. Bama got close because a bench player scored 30 while shooting 60% from 3. Vandy got close because the team shot the lights out from 3.

Both teams needed anomalies from behind the arc to even come close to beating us.

Thus, I’m not all that scared of teams like Duke and UK, who lack great 3 point shooters and are unlikely to have anomalous performances.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Something happened early in the game where one of their players did something dumb and camera caught him just staring blankly into space for a good 10 seconds trying to digest it.

4. TennTradition

Yeah but the obvious counterpoint is that we tend to lose guys and leave them open for 3. Making an argument that poor 3 pt shooting team will have a hard time beating us seems odd when the team that has come closest in months (Vandy) is a poor shooting team. Particularly odd argument also discussing Kentucky when Kentucky is literally ranked 100 spots above Vandy.

I mean - yes - a poor shooting team will have a tougher time beating us than a better shooting team.

The rest of your argument gets lost. Here’s a hint: a defense can affect a shooting percentage both in the negative and positive direction.

5. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

He definitely had that defeated look, mostly due to how the season has gone and the effort no one for them seems to give.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Pons is the guilty party on more than half the lost man issues imo. We need to up communication on switching or staying and plan ahead in our heads a little better at times, vs deciding on a switch/hedge/stay too late and give a good ballhandler an easy decision.
    I also see wide open 3s on scramble situation and that goes both ways. Those shots for teams on bad end of a scramble seem to always go in due do zero thought being put into the shot.
    You also dont go on a 24-2 run without knowing how to buckle down.
    WV had some big dudes. Big length will always be tougher on grant, admiral and alexander, especially when they front everything. We got pushed around a little by a bigger group and still beat them handily. Seemed to me everybody was testing the heat early in hopes of being the one to go off, vs just playing basketball and letting it happen

7. CardinalVol

I havent checked but seemed his minutes got cut yesterday.

8. CardinalVol

Its bad enough coaching rec leagues when it gets there. I can only imagine what its like at that level.

9. Ssmiff

10 minutes and zeros across the stat line. I'm questioning his ability a little. Mainly due to it doesnt appear he has any feel for the game, where to be and where people are going,

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I watched UVA miss multiple open 3 point looks late against Duke the other night.

I understand that defense can affect 3 point shooting. It goes without saying. But a team like Vandy shooting 60% seems a lot more like pure dumb luck/ a ridiculously hot shooting night than the result of us playing poor defense.

The bottom line of my point is that no one has come close to beating us recently without an outrageous 3 point shooting night. If an outrageous 3 point shooting night is what it takes to beat us, then I feel at least a bit better about beating teams that don’t shoot the 3 ball well, especially when those teams are much higher ranked teams, as it seems we’re less likely to sleep walk through those games.

11. Ssmiff

the argument of shots going in or missing being a reason you win or lose is kinda silly. The name of the game is to score more points. Yeah we will be fortunate when teams miss shots, just as teams are fortunate if Schofield shoots 20% or Lamonte goes 0-6

12. TennTradition

I think the last paragraph makes your post well.

I just found it odd to bring up Vandy shooting well against us and pairing that thought with the thought that UK is poor so that’s good, when they’re better than Vandy.

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

It’s CBB, tight games happen. We weren’t gonna roll teams all year.

14. CardinalVol

Blasphemy.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Maybe we would if Barnes was doing something besides sitting at Pete’s all day

MaconVol likes this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barnes isn't fluent in French

17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Negavol IMO

18. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

And other than jumping high and running fast, Pons doesn't appear fluent in BB.