We're Back

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 31, 2022.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've been hesitant to say it, but I'll say it now.

We're back.

Already ready for 2023 season.

Poppa T, tvolsfan, A-Smith and 9 others like this.
  2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We may take a step back next year simply because of the schedule and away games, but damn. This is so sweet after the last 15 years

tvolsfan, warhammer and Memtownvol like this.
  3. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

What a year.

NorrisAlan and Volgrad98 like this.
  4. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

It was a great year but more than the record, this has been my favorite Vol team. Player’s playing above their heads. Amazing plays. Great moments. And some players that have retired their numbers in my mind. I love Heupel saying best is yet to come but for now, I just loved this team. I wish ALL of them tremendous success

Poppa T and NorrisAlan like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know that I recall ever collecting so many meaningful scalps in one season. Even UK was regarded highly at the time of play.

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Not until we win a championship

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Y'all realize we had a Heisman candidate quarterback, lost him to injury, and then beat a top 10 team anyway? That is not a normal sequence. At all. Not only developing a Heisman candidate, but reloading at qb when he went down. Holy shit.

Poppa T, tvolsfan, A-Smith and 6 others like this.
  8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

WGWTFA

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Won games this season against the winners of 6 of the last 7 national championships.

tvolsfan and A-Smith like this.
  10. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

One thing that really stands out to me is player development. Guys are getting better the longer they’re around. That hasn’t really happened here in a long long time.

Poppa T, tvolsfan, A-Smith and 5 others like this.
  11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Hell I say take a week or two if you want, coach. You’ve earned a few days of relaxation. Besides everyone knows you are the real OC anyways.

12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

So far he’s also done a great job managing the new transfer portal era of the sport. 2020 transfer portal disaster wasn’t his fault at all. I hope the guys we are transferring in keep up the recent trend under JH of being an improvement over anyone transferring out

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

We're still a bit in the needing to plug holes due to attrition from the Gump fallout, but it's more manageable now. We need better athletes in the secondary, especially at corner, and probably more depth at OL. However, we are right on the brink of making this sort of a regular thing. I look at 2024 being the year in which we hit full stabilization.

tvolsfan, A-Smith and Tar Volon like this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Vols are ACC Champs, far as I am concerned

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That would make bowl games more interesting. If you win a conference championship then lose your bowl game, the team that beat you takes ownership of your conference championship trophy.

A-Smith, IP and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  16. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Beat last year’s champion and this year’s champion. Might as well claim it.

zehr27, CardinalVol and IP like this.
  17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Schedule isn’t even that much tougher. Virginia in Nashville is easier than at Pitt. Locations flip for Bama and Georgia. LSU away trades for A&M at home.

Florida and A&M are the real wild cards—they’re hitting the portal so hard that they could implode or come together and be really good. And obviously Florida being away is a challenge we haven’t met since Clausen.

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Honestly how many teams even play the last four national champs in the same season, let alone beat three of them?

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We beat 2 teams who were top 7 when we played them. Unreal to consider in August.

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Beat Florida and A&M and we could gather the momentum like we did this year even with a loss at Alabama(tbh, until I see some life from their passing game post Bryce Young, that's a toss up.) I think we get South Carolina back but Kentucky and especially Mizzou could be land mines at the end of the season. The absolute powder keg we would be if we got to UGA undefeated, though...