What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Finished Ghost of Tsushima. The story got a lot stronger as it went on, and I actually found it extremely enjoyable. I wish there were more 1 on 1 duels and more of the big missions where you defend or attack an entire fort with a supporting army. Those two pieces of the game were by far the most fun, IMO.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Cyberpunk is fun. Tons of complexities and details to the game have made it a bit difficult and cumbersome to pick up, but the story so far has been exciting.

The bugs haven’t been too bad. It’ll freeze and crash every now and then, but it auto saves so frequently that it doesn’t really bother me too much. Every so often, there will be an item that I should be able to pick up but can’t. No big deal.

I’m looking forward to playing more.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've realized that the bugs don't pop up/bother me as much because I'm playing more of a "shoot 'em up" style than a "stealth" style playthrough. I tried to be stealthy one mission, and all kinds of shit went wrong. I'd creep up behind someone and then just not be given the option to grab them. It just ruins the whole thing because if you shoot them, people see/hear, and then everyone is alerted to you being there.

So how do you fix that? Well, you can try re-loading a previous save. That can cause problems too though. I had one situation where, for some reason, whenever I re-loaded a previous save, a drone that I had already successfully crept past would rapidly retrace its previous path, backwards, on the map, seeing me before I had a chance to get hidden. Stupid. The stealth mode is fun, but it's very meticulous. Any mistake can mess up your situation, leading to a fire fight, and too often, those mistakes are caused directly by the game messing up.

Also, in a game of this size, how on earth are we unable to customize vehicles? I'll pick up 12 different pairs of shoes during any mission, but I can't take my car to a shop to have it painted a different color? Weird.

Other than that, I haven't had anything too bad happen. The occasional sub menu gets stuck on the screen. Just re-load a previous save. People's dialogue audio will disappear in the middle of phone calls. It's annoying, but once they finish the dialogue (even if you can't hear it), your response options will pop up, and the conversation continues. Still have trouble picking up some items that are clearly there to be picked up.

Still having a blast with the game itself though. The story interesting, and there's a TON of stuff to do in Night City.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm going to wait until I build a new pc to get it. it looks great, other than the bugs. hopefully those get ironed out over time

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I recommended to a friend last night that, if he can stand to wait, he should wait til he upgrades to the Series X and they release the next gen version. It's a great game, but the experience will likely be even better a year from now.

He just discovered the Witcher (after watching the show) and has been playing through that, so he's in no rush.

I may slowdown my playthrough a bit to see if the game gets any fixes to make it smoother. I have Last of US Part II sitting on the shelf waiting to be played, so I'm thinking I might loop that in a bit now.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

that was goty, so it can't be too bad. be ready for some challenging narratives, though. realistically grey right and wrong in that.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I bought and played the remastered version of the first game and liked it a lot. I've read mixed reviews on the 2nd one, even though it received a lot of "mainstream" praise. We will see.

I also got Gears 5 (needed to use a GameStop $5 off coupon before it expired) for five bucks, so hoping to put some time into that soon. I'll definitely stay entertained over the holidays.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I’m looking to get a 3080 once they finally restock, so if you want a 2070 for cheap, just let me know.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think I am going to go 3080 this summer with a new build. I appreciate the offer, but my existing rig can't handle a 2070

10. InVolNerable

Nice! Curious as to what all you’re thinking on your build. You use pcpartspicker.com, I’m guessing?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

my old college roommate is an electrical engineer, and I follow his plans. I haven't gotten too far down that trail yet, as things are so inflated in price and out of stock right now. I am definitely waiting for that situation to resolve.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I too am going to a 3080, like everyone else, so stock will never, ever come back.

I think I'm going VR for DCS.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

what model?

14. fl0at_

I'm looking at the Reverb G2, but by the time I actually do it, who knows.

It seems the Reverb and the Rift S are the two best supported by DCS, even though there seems to be other higher resolution models.

15. InVolNerable

When given the choice to choose HP or something else, always choose something else. Even if that something else is nothing.

16. fl0at_

Pretty much everything at my office is HP, including the servers. All run well. My laptop is HP. Desktop was originally HP. Both of my unRAID servers at home are HP. Actually, repurposed computers from work, since we cycle them out every 5 years.

So, I'm good with HP.

17. InVolNerable

HP is a pile of shit.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

15 GB update for Cyberpunk... crashed as I loaded in.

lmao

19. fl0at_

I mean, we have somewhere around 600 units, with no problems, in daily use.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I just had to transport a dude that I found in a shipping container.

After getting him to his destination, he essentially repeated this scene from The Office:

That was hilarious. Loving this game.