What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

NBA 2k21 is free on Epic right now. You also get a $10 coupon to use on another game if you get it.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

So I was just reading somewhere that you can play it out to where the only people left alive for the Citadel party are James, Liara, and EDI

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

... I was going to ask how you kill off joker, but I guess by arriving to the collector's base late.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

Apparently the dialogue with Liara if you wait until the very last minute to go to Therum is humorous as well

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I totally forgot how awesome the prologue in ME2 is

When you are walking through the Normandy and suddenly, boom, space.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've got the itch to buy a Switch. Do they ever creep down below $299?

Wanting to play Pokemon Snap, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Anyone got one? Worth it? Sorry if I've already asked this before.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  7. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I love my Switch. I don’t think they go on sale much, but they bundle games with them which is as close as you’ll get as far as I’ve seen. My wife loves playing Mario Party with me which is all she’ll ever touch in video games. Breath of the wild is great. I’m excited for Mario golf coming up. If you can get your hands on the Mario 3D all stars it’s great too.

Got Pokémon sword. It’s not bad, but it’s not as good as I hoped for, the new open world Pokémon game coming looks awesome though.
    Missed animal crossing but it’s supposedly stellar from everyone I know who’s played it. I get too addicted to those kinds of games haha.
    Also wondering about Pokémon snap just hard to know if it’s worth $60 to me.

The tough thing with the switch is everything is $60 and sometimes the games you get don’t feel like full games (Mario Party has 4 maps, Pokémon could have been much better, etc.) but some are beyond worth it (Mario odyssey and BOTW being two of my favorites)

It got me through more than a few phases of quarantine, and I’d buy it again. But there’s definitely phases where I don’t touch it for 3 months and play Xbox/nothing instead

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I didn't even think about Mario Party. I bet the fiance and I would play that together. She will probably play pokemon snap too, which justifies the $60 to me.

I have seen a bundle available with Animal Crossing, so I may just go that route. I've never played any of those games, but I'm hoping it's similar to Harvest Moon. Used to love those games.

Thanks for the feedback!

Volsdude likes this.
  9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

The Switch Pro is rumored to be unveiled soon. I don’t know if you will see a Switch price drop after that, but it may be worth waiting

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I have the patience to wait, especially without knowing any specifics about an actual release date. How long does it typically take for a previous gen console to drop in price after the release of the next gen? I can't imagine it's immediate, especially with the lack of stock we always seem to see with next gen releases.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Retailers generally discount stock pretty quickly, but it depends on how Nintendo is going to move forward with the hardware lineup too.

At the very least, I would keep an eye on prices this weekend since the biggest industry trade show of the year, E3, is going Saturday to Tuesday. See what announcements are made, then see how retailers respond for the next few days/weeks

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Makes sense. I'm also keeping an eye on Prime day as well, as I've read there may be some good bundle opportunities. If I can find a game I want bundled in for the same price, I'll probably make the plunge.

It might be time to make the plunge on a couple new credit cards as well. With as many out there that offer $200 cash back when you spend $500 in the first three months, I'd be stupid not to. The Switch and a few games will get me close to $500 by itself. We are also in the market for some sort of security setup, which will likely be another $500. Might as well take the free money.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

What’s the secret to getting a PS5 without having to pay 1500 on the black market?

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Just sign on to Target on a whim in September 2020 and add one to your cart, then say “I don’t know what the big deal was”

That was my strategy

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Seriously though, best bet for a PS5 is to follow people like Wario64 that get the news of drops a few minutes before they happen and then tweet it. Get notifications when they tweet.

Or Google “when will their be more PS5s in stock”every day and see if anyone is announcing more stock, then stalk said e-commerce site until they pop up.

It’s really a crapshoot if you don’t get lucky, but there have been fairly consistent batches released over the last couple months. The biggest problem continues to be beating the scalpers that automate all their shit

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

And watch for bundles on Gamestop and AntOnline. Those happen from time to time and tend to not sell out quite as quickly. If you can live with the games or peripherals that are bundled it’s still way cheaper than secondary market

17. JohnnyQuickkick

I think I got my PS4 about 6 months after release and it was easy. I guess it’s the chip shortage thing now

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

my strategy for mini consoles was to wake up at 3 am (midnight pacific) friday mornings to try and snag one as soon as it restocked. it worked on the second try, for 3 different systems

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I don’t have anything to base this on, but I feel like a Switch Pro release date and preorder cycle might make it easier to score a PS5 IF stock releases in the same time frame. This is simply because there is plenty of crossover in the console gaming market and people will be distracted by the new shiny thing for a couple days

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Nintendo apparently saying their E3 direct will be exclusively software focused. That doesn’t mean there won’t be another announcement at some point but pours some water on rumors of a hardware announcement actually at E3 unless they break tradition and have something outside of the normal 40-45 minute Direct